Panther to Tiger upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saga, May 21, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

Hey all,
    Since getting my macbook, I though I would treat my emac to an upgrade on OS. Is it as simple as I think it is, and just flippin' the disk in everything will go smooth? Or, am I in for a bit more than that. If someone could help with tips it would be great.
    thanks

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Disconnect all external drives, repair permissions before and after the upgrade, choose Archive and Install from the installation options, apply the Combo Upgrade to reach the current iteration.

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, just to be clear on this, your Macbook Tiger disk will not work with your eMac. You'll need a retail version of Tiger to do the deed. Then everything is simple and smooth.

In my book, archive and install, like fixing permissions, is overrated. If your eMac is in excellent health software-wise, and you have not installed any haxies or mods to the system, the finder, or any of Apple's supplied apps including (but not limited to) Safari and Mail, then basic upgrade should be just fine. I would use archive and install only for last ditch troubleshooting, when all else fails with a perplexing system problem.

However, being that I've never had a perplexing system problem at all, I've never needed an archive and install since running OSX.

4. saga thread starter macrumors regular

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

since i'll be upgrading on monday as well (no java 5.0 in 10.3.9 .. and i need it for university .. thanks apple i really appreciate _that_) i came around the question about "upgrade" and "archiv and install" as well

how much system/program preferences are copied over after the install in the second case ?
    do i have to reimport my emails etc.

i'm gonna back up my stuff from my home directory and the installers etc. but another question i ave is if there will be a speed difference between an archive install and an upgrade (i'v got a 512 mb ram mac mini from last year) ?
    at the moment i'm more leaning towards an upgrade since i don't know what configuration it can copy over in the archive install option but as said before i'm concerned about the speed of the upgrade

(i've got no mods or such things installed but some amount of software i use for university and office etc.)

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

In theory (and in my limited experience), Archive and Install should preserve pretty much all user settings. That's sort of the point--it leaves the users alone, while completely replacing the system. Upgrade basically just replaces old parts of the system with new ones, trying to leave everything else exactly as is.

This is why an upgrade install, in situations where something funky is going on, can screw up your system--bits of stuff are left over from the old OS. On the other hand, it preserves a lot of geeky stuff that would otherwise be dumped into the "Previous Systems" archive during the archiving process.

Personally, I did upgrade installs all the way from 10.0 to 10.3, includiing transitioning from a G4 to a G5 along the way, and surprisingly enough it worked pretty much perfectly. (Although the G5 transition introduced a really weird bug where a particular background process periodically went haywire and ate up 100% of one CPU until you killed it--I and two other people in exactly the same situation were the only ones I could find who'd ever seen it.)

There shouldn't theoretically be any speed difference, either, unless some setting you'd changed screwed something up.

All that said, I'd probably just go Archive now--I finally did that when Tiger came out, and it provided an opportunity to muck out all the things I'd goofed with over the years, as well as make sure I was starting with a clean system. User prefs came over just fine, and while I had to move or reinstall a lot of apps, that was actually a good opportunity to make sure I was running the latest version of everything, and I got rid of a bunch of old stuff I didn't need.

It might take you a couple of days of work to get back into your computing groove, but you'd spend half that time readjusting system settings or exploring new features anyway, and you'll ensure that you're starting fresh. (Also, I believe the lack of leftover files, once you chuck the "Previous Systems" folder, means a slightly smaller installation.)

7. electronboy macrumors 6502

Erase and Install or pay later

Or you can Archive and Install. Too many things changed from 10.3 to 10.4. I have been with OS X since the DP.

10.0 -> 10.1 OK
    10.1 -> 10.2 OK
    10.2 -> 10.3 OK
    10.3 -> 10.4 :eek:

I did in place upgrades on the same PowerMac G4 and Tiger is what broke everything. We have seen many, many issues on campus with 10.3 -> 10.4 in place upgrades. Save yourself the headache and don't do an in place upgrade. Erase and Install or Archive and Install. You will thank me later.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thanks for all the input.. i guess i now rathertake archive install
    i guess i have to do lots of next weeks over he weekend.. since i guess i'll end up all monday installing stuff

what stuff get's saved in archive and install ? (how about those small notes you can take ? or the adressbook etc. ? can i find i list somewhere ?

9. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Something funky usually means an alteration of some kind to the system or Apple's apps that are installed along with the OS. That alteration can be a direct action taken by the user to alter (or move) something that shouldn't be goofed with, or an app that modifies the system or one of Apple's apps in a way that the installer will not expect to see. Apple's installer expects to see a clean system, that is, one where all files, folders, apps and so on that are installed by the OS remain in the condition they were installed as of your last system update. If they aren't, your next system update, whether it's 10.x upgrade or a 10.x.x update, runs the risk of breaking your installation. Thats why Apple always cautions before you apply an update or upgrade:

Archive and install has two options: one is to archive and install without preserving user settings and the other preserving user settings. I tend to think either one is a better option for troubleshooting than as a standard method of installation, but it depends on the caveats noted above. Some folks do some amazingly screwy things to their computers (or install apps that do) and don't realize that there may be consequences when it's time to upgrade the system.

Also, archive and install with preserving user settings, although generally safe isn't bulletproof, as some folks who use Adobe's CS2 found out the hard way when they upgraded to Tiger and followed the mantra of must-do archive/install/preserve-user-settings. Basically the installer will scour through your home folder for pref files, ect., attempting to preserve your previous user settings, but it may not be aware of everything third party apps may install in other places outside of the application package folder. Consequently, those may not get moved and your otherwise marvelous piece of third party software suddenly doesn't work anymore. Had basic upgrade been chosen instead of archive and install, that type of problem (like the CS issue above) wouldn't have occurred.

I used basic upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0 without the slightest hiccup, and if you have a clean healthy installation, there shouldn't be any problem.

10. dshootist macrumors member

application issues with upgrade...

When I upgraded to 10.3 from 10.2 on my PowerBook G4, it messed with a few of my Adobe applications and I had to reinstall my CS1. Are there any similar issues when upgrading to 10.4 from 10.3.9? I can re-install, but I'd rather not have to.