panther trouble

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by macdisaster, Oct 5, 2004.

1. macdisaster macrumors newbie

I have just installed panther on my mac, now none of my adobe applications are working and I have lost the whole of my itunes library. I have Illustrator 10, Indesign 2 and Photoshop 6 (which runs in classic) I can not afford to upgrade to CS. I have fiddled with the permissions but that did not help. Also my printer and scanner are no longer working but I think I need to reinstall the drivers for those.
    However on a good note I am now on the internet with areopad plus, since you can no longer get hold of areocards at a good price.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I read here that Adobe applications sometimes don't get along well with certain system additions, including third-party drivers. Check the site I linked to for advice first.

3. winwintoo macrumors 6502

When you installed Panther, did you wipe the drive and do a clean install? or did you install it over what was there before?

When you say that your apps that run in Classic won't run, what error do you get?? Does Classic start up?? do you have a classic system folder??

Enquiring minds want to know.

Margaret

4. macdisaster thread starter macrumors newbie

classic black cat

Classic is running fine and infact photohop seems to be running fine in classic, but then it has only ever worked in classic. My printer is now working too.
    I installed panther just by updating my old system but then reinstalled it keeping my old preferences (archive an install) I think. I still can't get Illustrator or Indesign to work and I really need to use them.

5. winwintoo macrumors 6502

According to this page on Adobe's web site your version of Illustrator and InDesign should work in OS X - the page says 10.2 but they should also work in Panther.

Are they installed in the Applications OS9 folder or in the Applications folder? Don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe if they were installed before you upgraded, the Panther installer put them in the App OS9 folder and is now trying to run them in Classic and since classic has some quirks (doesn't work like real OS9 in some cases - too technical for me to understand) maybe if you removed them and re-installed them they might work.

Just a thought.

Take care, Margaret

If all else fails, write to Adobe support - for the price you pay for their software, they should be able to make it work ;)