panther troubles....

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by halabar, Feb 23, 2004.

1. halabar macrumors newbie

Help!!!

I just installed 10.3, and applied all the latest updates... now, some trouble....

drag-drop a file on application in the dock is not working.... ( I can launch the application, but can't open a file).

I can't copy text from word an past in the finder anyplace... (such as a file name)

help!!!!!!!!

why didn't I just stick with Jaguar, it was working! Panther is killing my work!

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Have you tried repairing permissions?
    Application Folder -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions.

3. halabar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, First with the normal way, then with Cocktail, and also ran TechTool 4.

No luck yet. I've also tried deleting some preferences, with no luck either.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Do you have room for an Archive and Install?
    That will probably be the easiest (and best) way to deal with it.

5. halabar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have room.... I just did the archive and install... sigh....

Can't open files be double-click either....

6. halabar thread starter macrumors newbie

arrgghh!!!!

can't archive and install, or install!!! I have the Panther "Upgrade" disks tht came with my G5, and now since I did the 10.3.2 update, it won't let me do a archive/install, and I can't install it on one of the other drives! damn!!!!!

Apple has hosed me!

I'll have to start from a base Jaguar install!

This sucks!!!!

#$#$%#$^@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Before you take that step, have you checked whether the problem is user specific or systemwide? Log in as another user (create one first if necessary) and see if the problems persist. If they don't, it is not necessary to reinstall the whole system.

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Actually I believe that there is an option to do an Erase&Install on upgrade CD's. You will have to boot from the CD and then those options may appear. If so then you won't have to start from Jaguar and upgrade.

I would the suggestion of creating another user first and see if that fixes the problem.

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Upgrading to Panther by Archive and Install has been very buggy. It's worth the trouble to back up all your files and do a clean install of Panther.