Panther Up-to-Date CDs Upgrade or Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamdr, Nov 16, 2003.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Can the Panther Up-to-Date CDs install the OS on an empty drive, or can they only upgrade OS 10.2? I've heard two different things from people on this forum, so if someone could please verify it one way or the other, I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much.
  2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Re: Panther Up-to-Date CDs Upgrade or Install?

The CDs I received (My Powerbook qualified for the free upgrade) are upgrade-only CDs. I wanted to do a clean install, but made the mistake of wiping the disk myself before getting started. When I booted from the first CD, it went looking for an existiong OS X installation (which of course it didn't find). I ended up having to re-install 10.2 before I could upgrade.

Once the system check has been done, though, you are given the option to reformat the hard disk. So you can still do a clean install, if that's your preference.
  3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    the upgrade disks I got for my G5 are just like the standard retail ones. The 1st disk is called the upgrade disk but even if you format your drive first choosing the right options on the installer will allow you to do a clean install. I can't see apple doing a special set of pure upgrade only CD's it wouldn't be cost efficient and defeats the point of the scheme. Mine came with everything except the retail box.