Panther upgrade question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by beefstu01, Jun 19, 2003.

1. beefstu01 macrumors member

Hey, I don't know if Apple would do this, but after Panther is shown at WWDC, do you think that every computer sold after that day will have a free upgrade to Panther option? I don't know if Apple did this for Jaguar, and I don't really want to compare Apple to Dell, but Dell offered free upgrades to XP just before it came out.

2. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

I believe that Apple had something that if you bought a computer after a certain date, and it didn't have Jaguar, you could buy a Jaguar CD from them for $20.

I know it's not free, but it still helps Apple and it's not expensive at all, seeing as you get $110 off.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Panther upgrade question

Usually Apple will offer some sort of discount. They did for Jaguar, where only those who purchase a Mac on or after July 17 qualified for a free upgrade from Mac OS X to Jaguar (they had to pay Apple $20 to ship a CD though).
    If Panther is a paid upgrade and if it is as costly as the Jaguar upgrade (at $130), Apple will most likely do a similar program.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Panther upgrade question

there's no "if" about this. Panther will cost cash, lol.

they will probably have an upgrade plan though for new machines bought and it will probably cost the price of a CD and shipping. this will be especially true if they release new 970 Powermacs running a special build of Jaguar--these will likely have a totally free upgrade to panther when it ships.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ill say it again and people will bitchat me all day but oh well. if apple sticks to what they have said in the past panther will be free. but none of will know until they announce it.

iJon

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

what have they said in the past? last i heard, jaguar cost a full 130$. are you talking about how 10.1 was free and 10.0 cost money? you could speculate on that, but i think that 10.1 was free because 10.0 had no justification for charging--it was a "fake" OS like the first release of windows 95. 10.2 is a perfectly stable, full-featured OS. i want apple to charge for 10.3. they need the money, and their OS is one piece of merchandise they sell that is most certainnly not overpriced.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i believe it was phil talking on some video, not something inside thing because many people can back me up on this but he said they would like to have every other OS to be free, as in 10.1,10.3,10.5, see what i mean. but its hard to believe they may do that so thats why we wont know until whenever they announce it.

iJon

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, a lot of people are happy with 10.2 so far. After they show off Panther, it better have enough features to justify a $129 price tag, if that's what they're going to do. Maybe it'll be free or cheap to 10.2 owners, but full price for 9 to 10.1 users. I can just see them charging full price for everybody just for a few new features and some speed, but you have to use 10.3 for things like Safari. Combine that with no G5, and you have a riot.

Come on cheap upgrades and 970s.

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Apple is a business and the main asset of this business is the MAC OS. They will charge for it.
    The question is how much, and will there be a discount? Afterall- R&D costs money, lots of it. 10.1 had to be free because 10.0 was really beta. 10.2 made some excellent progress, and I am sure 10.3 will be leaps and bounds beyond 10.2
    If half the rumors of Panther are true, then many people will gladly pay for it, regardless of cost.
    But I suspect with the hype aurrounding this OS and all the other 64 bit/970 hype, Apple will use the momentum to have a few sales of th OS.
    Plus, if they sell Panther, at $129 then that helps them keep 970 prices the same or lower than the current lineup.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, gotta be careful about taking comments to seriously--like "we won't be releasing new hardware at expos so much"--after which follows the 12 and 17 inch powerbooks... and "no more public safari builds..."

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Haha, that's the funniest thing I've read in awhile :)

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no gateway needs money, i think if apple charges they should put those stupid coupons to use and offer a cheaper upgrade. maybe we will find out monday.

iJon

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

why? they gross like billions of dollars less than some PC companies i could name. don't take it out of context!