PANTHER upgrade seems to slow things down

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by theposse, Jun 3, 2004.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I've recentlt upgraded to panther from 10.2.8 and everything seems to be going a bit slower then it used to,The worst affected being safari i.e when i go onto a page and try to scroll up or down the spinning whell keeps appearing and even when i try and close a window the same happens again.
    I have a iMac g4 17" superdrive with 256 ddr and 80 gbs memory so i don't think my hardrive is slowing me down.
    Any help as usual would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks scottie

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

hi there. how did you install panther - upgrade, archive & install, or clean install? have you repaired permissions? have you recently run maintenance (run the sudo periodic daily, weekly, and monthly commands to clear caches and whatnot)?

sorry for the 20 questions - just want to get an idea of what you've done already to do a bit of house-cleaning...

i did a clean install to panther (backed up everything on an external hard drive first, then closed my eyes, and clicked the erase and install option). i re-installed a few key apps (ms office, printer software, etc.) and have been slowly adding back other miscellaneous items to get my system back to where it was. i will say that panther runs way faster than 10.2.8 on my rev. a 12" powerbook (867 mhz), so it sounds odd that it's running slower for you.

marianne

3. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

can't open disc utility!

Thanks for the reply marianne,
    I installed as an upgrade not from fresh and when i try to open disc utilty it says the application has unexpectedly quit.So i can't do the repair permissions thing so i don't know what has happened...please help!!!
    Thanks scottie

4. dragula53 macrumors regular

check permissions on disk utility.... right click (or control click) and check ownership and permissions... make sure you have rights..

if it still doesn't work, boot up from the install disk, and use disk utility from the install disk..

and repair permissions that way

5. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

I did the repair permissions but things still seem to be running slow ,whats going on?

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

you could get "Onyx" from macupdate.com. It allows you to run the clean-up scripts when you want to by command. It may help.

7. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Do an archive and install and see if that helps. I had this same issue on my 17" iMac and an archive/install installation fixed it right up. There is very little risk of data loss with archive/install but if that doesn't work, I'd strongly suggest backing up your stuff to DVD and doing a fresh wipe of the hard disk and install Panther from scratch.

I've updated five Macs from 10.2.x to 10.3 and all of them saw a huge speedup in operation after changing to Panther. Something's not right with your install, I would think.

Also, get some more memory in that thing! 256 is a little thin for OS X IMO. Crucial.com can sell you another 256 chip for ~$50 and it should provide a noticeable increase in performance. Installing it in an iMac is super easy, too.

Hope that helps a bit!

-Drew

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't do brain surgery for a headache. The thing that should be done is to boot into single-user mode. Run fsck -f from the commandline. You will see instructions on the console screen, so there is nothing to fear.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Panther on a G3

I installed Panther on a G3 iMac 450mhz with a 1 GB of ram. It seems faster than any previous version of OS X. I have a G5 for my main system but the G3 didn't seem slow except for major iMovie stuff.

I bet memory will help your iMac. I noticed an eMac with multiple users logged in will have Panther run slow with only 256 Mb of ram.

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

if you're new to the mac, here's a link that will explain what the fsck command does: http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/fsck.htm

what happens when this system check is run?

11. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

MISTER ME

How do i run that fsck-f thing you were talking about cos i don't have a clue and should i get more memory is that the problem.
    Thanks for the advice everyone

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Restart you Mac.

Press [CMD]- or [Apple]- while the Mac restarts. The forces the computer to boot into single-user mode.

After the reboot, you will see command-line interface rather than the Mac's GUI. You will now be in single-user mode.

If you read through the text on the screen, you will see instructions for running fsck. However, you know what to do.

Type "fsck -f" without the quotes.

Allow it to run to completion.

When you get back the command-line prompt, type "exit" without the quotes.

The system will run through approximately a screenful of commands until it boots the familiar Mac GUI.

13. aus_dave macrumors regular

I've noticed this as well. I get the spinning beachball occasionally but previously it was very rare to see it in Safari. This is on a dual 1.8 G5 with 1.5 G of RAM.

14. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thanks again for the advice mister me,i ran the cmd fsck -f and it says that my hard drive is o.k.So what else can i do or do i need to invest in some extra memory or should i run a sudo in terminal maybe that may help???