Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Bochs lets a computer emulate an x86 architecture, and for instance, run Windows on a Mac, much like VPC, although slower. I know (or believe?) that on Windows, one can use Bochs to run a second OS under a virtual machine within a computer that is already running on the x86 architecture with more things native and less emulated, allowing one, for instance, to run Linux in a VM environment within Windows, or vice versa.

Is there anything similar that would let one run Panther inside Tiger? I am starting to wonder if it might be an option for apps like SPSS which have misguided developers who will update them God-knows-when or never....

I thought I saw something like this once as an option to run YellowDog or somesuch within OS X. Does it exist? I'd think such a VM might not be too painfully slow, and might be good enough to run a legacy app or two? Or am I being too optimistic? :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i haven't heard or a program, might as well just create a dual boot system rather than use a virtual machine

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PlaceofDis said:
i haven't heard or a program, might as well just create a dual boot system rather than use a virtual machine

Hmmm...I guess so...but esp, on a notebook with a small HD, that'll be a nuisance. :( At that rate I'll stick with running my one legacy app at the office. It doesn't bother me too much, and I knew it going in, because I hate this app (SPSS) on all platforms and am trying to phase it out of my work, but it's slow going, because it's fairly popular.

Anyone happen to know, since it'll be relevant either way, just how small a boot partition one would need for Panther, assuming one customizes the install to minimize, and only needs ~250MB of useable free space (aside from the needs of journalling, scratch, etc).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
grapes911 said:
But then you'd have to reboot instead of just firing up a VM.

yes, but you wouldnt suffer through emulation, and the speeds would be faster, allowing you to finish sooner :D

i would think that 10 gigs is what you would need at most for Panther, but im sure that you could trim it down if you wanted to

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PlaceofDis said:
yes, but you wouldnt suffer through emulation, and the speeds would be faster, allowing you to finish sooner :D

At this rate, you're going to have me buying a Windows notebook as a second fiddle for stats stuff. :D

SnarkMan

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
VNC

grapes911 said:
But then you'd have to reboot instead of just firing up a VM.
If you have another machine around you could keep Panther on it and use VNC to connect to it from the Tiger machine. The other machine would sort of be your "SPSS Server". Seems like a waste, but it would work.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
At this rate, you're going to have me buying a Windows notebook as a second fiddle for stats stuff. :D

about the dual boot, i would think that you could get by with having 5 gigs set aside for it if you wanted, maybe a bit less if you only install the essentials

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
SnarkMan said:
If you have another machine around you could keep Panther on it and use VNC to connect to it from the Tiger machine. The other machine would sort of be your "SPSS Server". Seems like a waste, but it would work.

Hmmm...could be an excuse to get a cube...someone is selling one on MR for a fairly good price...hmm...*snaps out of it*. No. Must spend all available money either on designer clothing or lenses for my Rebel. :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...could be an excuse to get a cube...someone is selling one on MR for a fairly good price...hmm...*snaps out of it*. No. Must spend all available money either on designer clothing or lenses for my Rebel. :D

please go for the lenses!!! ;) :p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.