Panther VPN Server deamon vpnd doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by datafatmunger, Feb 11, 2004.

1. datafatmunger macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004
    is anyone else having trouble getting vpnd (the VPN Server) to work. starting it at the command line it quickly terminates. . .and some of the configuration files are missing?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Couldn't resist posting

I actually have no idea about the answer to your question. I just like your handle.:)
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003

if you are using server, just open up the gui and start the vpn with a check in the box. otherwise, the client doesn't have vpn server in it.

EDIT: Sorry, to start the vpn, you click on it in the list, then you hit the BIG START button.
  4. datafatmunger thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004
    i'm not using server

i'm not using server. . .and the standard edition does have vpnd and it did work in 10.2. . .so i'm not about to give up yet. . .if apple ripped such functionality out to motivate people like me to purchase the $500 server edition. . .that just really sucks. . .why would you want to alienate the unix geek switch overs. . .who helped with the revival of Mac OS?
  5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I tried this but failed:

mac:~ user$ vpnd -h
    Usage: vpnd [-dhnx] -i serverID
    -h this message
    -x does not move to background
    -d enable debug mode
    -n same as -d but terminates after validation
    -i server ID for this server (ex:
    mac:~ user$ vpnd -d -i
    2004-02-12 17:07:57 EST VPND: could not get servers dictionary
    2004-02-12 17:07:57 EST VPND: error processing prefs file

I'm still looking though
  6. datafatmunger thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004

I saw that article too. . .but in my 10.3 installation. . .i updated from 10.2 by the way it wasn't a fresh install. . .files such as /etc/ppp/pptp_service are not there anymore