Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITMediaCo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
I finally completed my site only to find colors not displaying properly on what seems to be only Panther-based machines.

Here are some screenshots:
PC Running XP with IE 6 - background matches images
http://misc.itmediaco.com/colorpost/ie6.JPG

PowerMac with Studio Display CRT running Jaguar and Safari - background matches images
http://misc.itmediaco.com/colorpost/Jaguar_Safari.jpg

Powerbook running Panther and Safari - colors are displayed incorrectly
http://misc.itmediaco.com/colorpost/Panther_Safari.jpg

This seems kind of odd. The problem doesn't occur in Mozilla or Opera on Mac or PC. I was at an Apple Store the other day and tried it on a G5 with a Cinema Display and the colors appeared incorrectly.

Anyone else encounter this problem with Panther?

thanks!

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i've noticed a similar problem with the color of some png images, except that safari is the only browser to render it correctly (this is not affected by panther/jaguar). i'm not sure if it's an issue with gamma or not, but most png images i use in designs (all pngs with translucency) render lighter in mozilla/ie than they do in safari. the colors are correct in photoshop, but once they're exported, safari is the only browser to display them properly. is this just a gamma issue, or perhaps some kind of colorsync calibration deal?

ITMediaCo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
i've noticed a similar problem with the color of some png images, except that safari is the only browser to render it correctly (this is not affected by panther/jaguar). i'm not sure if it's an issue with gamma or not, but most png images i use in designs (all pngs with translucency) render lighter in mozilla/ie than they do in safari. the colors are correct in photoshop, but once they're exported, safari is the only browser to display them properly. is this just a gamma issue, or perhaps some kind of colorsync calibration deal?

I tried recalibrating the Powerbook display, but it didn't make much of a difference. It just dawned on me... maybe Panther is sensitive to web-safe colors (which these are not)... Not sure.

In any case, I submitted one of those bug reports to Apple, not that it means anything :/

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by ITMediaCo
Sorry about that... I thought you could get it from the screen shots.

http://www.roboraiders.com

Sorry about that I probably could have but was busy earlier and didn't think to look.

I took a look and it's pretty even to me. If you look very closely you will see the difference but I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know about it.

This is with 10.3.2 and Safari.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 276

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I can see a slight color difference on a PC using IE 5.5, too.

As far as I know, modern browsers should handle non-websafe colors just fine. If you've got the right RGB code in there, the only thing that comes to mind is a gamma difference on people's systems.

Are you grabbing the actual RGB value from the Flash file or image, or are you visually matching the colors?

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Mine looks like every elses here.
I use a different calibor which uses D50, "standard for graphics".

Attachments

• wardofsky\'s c.icc.zip
    529 bytes · Views: 152

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the images are clearly darker than the background:

background : 7D7D7D
image color : 6A6A6A

my theory is that safari is rendering the image the way it's really supposed to be. when i downloaded the bg-top.jpg image from safari and opened it, i got the color reading at the top. when i used camino, mozilla, IE, opera, it all looked as you intended it to look, but when i downloaded a "correct" image from there, i got the same color reading as from the safari image.

conclusion: neither of the above colors for the images or background are websafe colors. i have a feeling that the only way to make it work is to go back and fix everything.

when i wrote my website, not too long ago, my main priority was to make it look nice across all browsers and platforms. so with that goal, i knew that i had to use all websafe colors in it.

ITMediaCo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for everyone's help! It seems the best solution would be to build an alternate Non-IE 6 version that fixes the color problem as well as the other div layer bugs, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.