Panther - XP Networking, Anyone know XP?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Earendil, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

before I start, I'll say that I have done a search of the forum, and have read this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...anther jaguar networking problem&pagenumber=1

There were a few things in there to help me, but I need some help from cross platform users.

List of machines-
    Panther.2 AlumPB (windows sharing on, firewalls off, file sharing on)

PC notebook Windows2K run by knowledgeable PC user

PC notebook XP run by a not so knowledgeable PC user.

Two scenarios -
    straight ethernet cable between PB and Win2K machine. Win2K can see me, but I can't see him. He knows how to set up his computer so that he's sharing, and knows what to do to see another networked drive.

I'd like to be able to see his drive as well. My problem or his?

Straight ethernet cable between PB and XP machine. Neither computer can see the other. iTunes on both computers, can see the other persons computer, but neither can get access.
    XP owner doesn't know a thing about networking, and I only know the language, not the XP environment.
    (as far as I can tell) XP machine knows it is connected by ethernet to something.

I'll have to try try changing the WORKGROUP to match the XP machine (assuming their different). It has been suggested that entering the IP manually could solve it. Where do a find the Machines IP address under Win2K and XP? More important answer would be XP, because that user doesn't know as much, and there isn't ANY way of exchanging files. At least on the Win2K machine we can exchange files to a degree.

I believe file sharing is turned on on both computers, dunno about firewalls. If anyone wants to write up how to turn file sharing on, and any other required steps for XP, please do!

And I would be correct in guessing that the only three steps I need to take are
    -File Sharing
    -Windows File Sharing
    -Firewalls off
    correct?

How about starting the mac as a firewire drive? would that be completely cross platform, or will the same issues arrive as far as compatibility?

Thanks in Advance, you guys are awesome! :)
    Tyler
    Earendil

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Panther - XP Networking, Anyone know XP?

target disk mode only works on another Mac. Unless you're talking about an external drive you use with your Mac, that's different. But if it's formatted HFS+ (regardless of whether or not its journaled) I dont think Windows can recognize that file system format...

Sorry I cant help you out with your prob, I don't know that much about how to troubleshoot networking probs...but I do know that for the first one, you should try it and if you guys are successful you should be able to see his computer in the Network folder, or alternatively you can get his IP and do it (apple + k) in finder.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well your biggest problem in all of this is if you are not connecting with a hub or switch a regular ethernet cable will not work. you need to be using a cross-over cable.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

actually all relatively new Macs (i think from 2000 or 2001) have ethernet ports that automatically sense what the cable's connected to and do what's necessary.

so you can use a standard ethernet cable and if you have one mac and you're connecting it to only one other computer, the Mac will change the way it sends data so it'll be a virtual crossover cable

edit: link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

hehe edesignuk i thought the link he gave in his post was that...shoulda clicked :(

that sorta doesnt solve some problems he might have though (iirc both your tip and his problems), especially scenario 2.

6. gbojim macrumors 6502

Not true. Mac ethernet ports auto configure.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

For Win2K, XP, 2003, click Start then Run and type 'cmd'. In the command window, type 'ipconfig /all' to list all the IP interfaces.

8. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Thanks for the link!! now why didn't that turn up when I searched for "panther" "XP" and "network"... *sigh*:rolleyes:

And yeah, no need for a HUB. Though you'll notice I said the Win2K machine can see me, so you probably could have daduced that I wasn't having a problem there ;) But hey, I'm not going to shut down advice, at one point in my life I didn't KNOW that. And I know how it works, you have to assume the person coming to you for computer help is more or less clueless, or else bad things could happen :D

I know the logistics of how things work, I just don't always know the proper steps. Hopefully this will work...now if only the XP machine didn't live 120 miles away...

Tyler
    Earendil

9. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Re: Re: Panther - XP Networking, Anyone know XP?

MacOpener can do it, used to have to use it before the Window update of the iPod :)

http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/

10. rokken 4 dokken macrumors newbie

i know xp really well

i know windows xp really well its the main operating system i use. email me any questions you have or post them. rokken4dokken@yahoo.com

wes

11. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

You will need to use Samba to access a mac server on XP.