'Paper' Developers Get $15 Million in Funding For Future Apps and Hardware

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

, the company that created popular iPad sketching app Paper, today announced that it received $15 million in funding for future projects, which will focus on both collaboration and physical creation.
    FiftyThree founder Georg Petschnigg expanded on those two concepts in an interview with The Verge, explaining that the team hopes to create "a suite of mobile tools for creativity." Currently, the company's only app is Paper, which is an intuitive sketching app that offers a quick way to capture ideas on a distraction-free canvas.

The app, which was designed by engineers who formerly worked on Microsoft's now-cancelled dual-screen tablet project Courier, won a 2012 Apple Design Award and was later named Apple's iPad App of the Year.

Article Link: 'Paper' Developers Get $15 Million in Funding For Future Apps and Hardware
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2009
    I wonder if Apple has considered a pressure-sensitive display for these types of apps. I'm curious what the pros/cons are.
  3. macrumors member

Jul 27, 2011
    Worcester, MA
    l look forward to what they come with! Paper is one of my favorite apps.
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2011
    Now that is interesting.
  5. Guest

What is really interesting is how stupid were Ballmer and Gate by killing the project because they didn't see any potential...

Now it's one of the best app on iOS.

They are the opposite of the definition of visionary.
  6. macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2011
    Well done to them, it's a great app it will be good to see what they come up with.
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Their original project was completely different from the app. You can look it up on the YouTube and see that this double screen thing is garbage and no one would buy it. It was made JUST for sketching. You wouldn't buy it.
  8. Editor

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I'm wondering if their hardware is going to include something similar that might compete with Wacom tablets.
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2011
    They just could envision the team's product anywhere else and it resulted in this happening.
  10. macrumors 68020

Dec 31, 2007
    Colorado & Ontario
    Apple should partner with (I didn't say buy, but...) Wacom.

I'm glad they went without a stylus to get everyone used to their vision of a touch computer. That's great, really. But as time marches on, and exciting hardware additions become scarce, integrating a precision digitizer layer would elevate the iPad to a level of functionality far, FAR beyond its present capabilities.

1st raster work, then vector illustration, then CAD, then OS X integration, then... the world.

It's hard not to laugh at the punters who are still stuck on square 1 with "ipad is for content consumption!". Keep banging the rocks together, guys.
  11. macrumors 6502a

May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    I could get excited about Paper if it were for OSX (using a touch pad etc.) but all the time it's restricted iPad it's only a 'meh' for me.

Pretty icon though.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2004
    Wish it was portable; there's no way to sync with other iPad right now. Also, resolution is restricted to resolution of display. So an iPad 2 or mini only gets 1024x768 drawings. I need at least double that.
  13. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2013
    well, i use paper a lot, so i'm really excited to see what they're cooking. one thing is for sure they won't waste their awesome $15 million, so i can expect something extraordinary from them.
  14. macrumors member

Mar 21, 2009
    Yes. Best icon on my iPad.
    Awesome app too.
  15. Guest

I bought Paper just for sketching ...