PAPER LOST.... HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boxerchip, Nov 18, 2004.

1. boxerchip macrumors member

Last night I was working on my paper I saved it and pulled out the USB mem stick from the front of my G5. the apple did its normal blurb saying you should not do this for such and such a reason. This morning I went to work on my paper but when i plugged in my mem stick the paper was blank, thats right... the paper is there but just a BLANK document. Does ANYONE know how I can get my paper back? some temp file maybe? anything... please help.

Thanks
    Chip

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Did you not back it up?? Is Word still open? if so you might be able to.....Otherwise, i hope you can remember what you wrote!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"such and such a reason" being that you might loose data :rolleyes:

4. boxerchip thread starter macrumors member

sorta used to PCs.... did not expect that after I saved the data it could be affected.... IT WAS SAVED!!!

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Yup, exactly!! :D

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Windows has the same thing, you are supposed to "Safely remove hardware" (stop the device) before removing it, for exactly the same reason.

7. boxerchip thread starter macrumors member

but if you dont do that nothing happens... it may yell at you but your paper has already been saved to the stick so it does not do anything

8. brap macrumors 68000

If you look in the Office directory, there may... possibly be an autorecover verison, or an autosave verison hanging around. You might want to search for stuff modified around that time.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Say, can you plug the card back in and try to run the OS disk utility on it? It is a mounted drive, after all. Maybe you can recover the files that way?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You still run the same risk that you *might* loose data. Most of the time you'd probably be alright (as you would be on OS X most of the time). But there is still that chance that if the device is not ejected/stopped before it is removed you run the risk of corrupting/loosing data.

11. boxerchip thread starter macrumors member

everything in the office directory is OLD but on my mem stick there are 2 hidden files another file named the same as my paper but with a ._ in front of it and one file named .DS_store

anyone know of any way to recover this paper? there has to be some temp file....

12. boxerchip thread starter macrumors member

I cant find any files or anything!!! this is so damn frustrating!!!

13. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

It is lost. Hurry and start over... Hint - Next time backup....

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You should click the eject button or drag it to the trash when finished each time. I wonder if it was still in the process of saving when you took it out- they can take quite a while sometimes. So have you tried to recover the autosaved version or anything?

Yeah, I would save everything to the hard drive, then when you want to take it someplace drag it to the mem. stick to carry with. One thing to be careful of is to make sure when you return with the doc. on the memory stick and return to work on the original computer you don't overwrite that newer version with the old one.

ANOTHER IDEA...I know when I have downloaded a word document *(using first class) I have to save it first before doing anything to it or I often times lose what I did. was this something you created orignially using word or whatever or soemthing you downloaded then edited or added to?

How many times did you save it...just once?

15. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Did you try opening the file with the . yet? Cuz that would be your best bet for a temp file.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That ._ is a fork in the file... don't think it is usable on its own. I suggest always ejecting with the Command+E shortcut or selecting Eject from the whatever menu it is in the Finder. I'd bet that there was some disk acess going on, and you got your ass bitten off by a poisonous shark.

So.

If it was a HFS+ Journal formatted drive there is a possible chance. But I really don't think so.

Those commands are not there for nothing...

17. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Another question.......when saving the paper, did you just 'save' it, or 'save as' and direct where it was saved to? If you just saved it, it might be saved on your hard drive.