Paper on Music Technology--I need your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kylos, May 6, 2003.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I have to write a paper on the cultural effects of a specific technology. I've decided to do it on the way recording and distribution technologies have affected our perception of music and fine arts in general. My prof wants some views of those affected by the technology. So if you could give me some feedback on how you feel about these issues I would be grateful. Specifically, if you could give some feedback on such eras as the phonograph, cassette tape, cd, cdrw, portable music player (specifically the iPod :D), p2p, and finally the iTMS and other legit online download services. Please don't try to cover them all by yourself, there are enough people, I'll probably be overflowing with info! And finally, I'd like to get an idea of the demographics, so if you don't mind including your age, that would be great! Thanks!

2. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I wrote a paper in a general studdies exam on how technology has affected music as an art. I proposed that recording technology made way for mass market successes such as The Beatles, and how it has many things possible in terms of creating music that was beyond even the wildest of imaginations before music technology. Also, on the negative side, I discussed how I feel technology has made it much easier for corporate greed to take advantage of the art form for profit. Technology helps keep the costs of manufactured artists down, and business-wise commercial DJ's can make a huge hit record with very little effort. WIth recording technology there suddenly came a huge market for recordings of music, this has obviously had adverse affects on music, on the other hand, mroe recently, technology has allowed any talented musician to record their own stuff and distribute it without needing huge funds. It has allowed the creation of the bedroom musician, eg moby, who can make their musical dreams come true, with a mac, and some decent software. Like me shameless plug click here click here

Thats basically what I wrote about and more. THis may not be what your after if you are thinking more of the music consumer as opposed to the producer.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, the ability to record pretty decent sounding stuff with a few mics, some midi stuff and a computer (in this case, a mac) has allowed people not really in the music business to record.

2 examples

my brother is a chemical engineer/lawyer and has recorded a local hardcore/punk band that he was friends with... a bunch of high school kids got a chance to put out a cd that i don't think would've otherwise happened.

another brother recorded, mixed, burned his own cd... same thing basically. woudlnt' have bought studio time for sure...

i think the overall impact on a larger scale is that some bands that dont' catch a break with a label, can create a pretty professional sounding demo for fairly cheap on stuff they might already own... and from there could get a record deal etc.

not sure if that helps. but i think that's a pretty big way technology has influenced things recently...

4. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Thanks. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome. I have a decent idea of where I'm going to take this, I just need a cultural perspective. I'll sift through and use what works best. So the more the better. If you specifically want credit for your views I'll give it. Otherwise, I'll just cite the board as a general source.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

P2P - Because its free. :)

Its easily usable... free. decent speed, oh did I mention its free? :p

Negetive - Riaa, they are going to launch a whole frikken mess on every major P2P networks and are going to sue you if you are to active on your ISP... :(

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    (taking a deep breath...)

I'm 45 years old.

I miss vinyl.:(

There was something special about goin' down to Tower Records every time I got a few extra bucks in my pocket and flip through the records. So much space for artists and photographers to play with! Extra room inside for even more art and photographs and liner notes and lyrics! Little extras that some bands would throw in there, like bumper stickers, posters, and other such goodies! Going to the "import" section with the other audiophile geeks and spending the extra money for "virgin" vinyl copies of my favorite bands, which always sounded better on my Bang & Olufsen record player! The cool "tricks" that companies would pull to promote certain releases...such as colored vinyl, clear vinyl, even oddly shaped vinyl records, of which I am a collector of and have dozens of records (that actually play, of course) in shapes ranging from triangles to American flags to Pumpkins to footballs!

To me, those were fun times, and the music had (in my opinion) worth and value. Today, if one can "log on" and just grab a tune from one of thousands of "bands" today, it just seems to cheapen the experience, and we seem to have a generation that EXPECTS "free" music from the talented people who put it all together for them.

That's why I still refuse to rip or burn a copy of what friends turn me onto...I appreciate borrowing it, but I'll make the effort to go and BUY the disc to show respect for the artist...

This is all my opinion, of course, and should be taken as such, within the context of the intention of this post. PLEASE let's not turn this into a debate over what I've said...I can see the easy potential for such..it's simply a cultural perspective for Kyle's free use from this Baby Boomer.:)

7. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Thanks! These posts are all very helpful! I'll tell you how it turns out.