Paradise Now's Oscar

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mechcozmo, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A friend of mine sent this to me, and thought it was interesting.

Essentially, the movie 'Paradise Now' has been nominated for an Oscar. The movie is about two friends who are recruited for a suicide bombing and their story. It won a Golden Globe. But the Oscar nomination shortly afterwards made quite a number of people mad, mostly because they had lost family in homicide bombings or other terrorist acts.

Linkety to the petition about it
    Linkety to the IMDB page on Paradise Now
    Linkety to the least-biased article about it

I didn't sign the petition, and I'm not asking anyone here to, but I think this is something rather interesting that is happening. (I included the petition link because quite a huge chunk of other articles mentioned it, but had too much of a slant)

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are they angry because they made a movie about it? Movies based on true stories are made all the time, it happened/ing it shows/reflect/honor/sometimes disgrace people but it's true.

Bless

3. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I don't profess to be an authority on this, but it would see that the fact that it portrays the murders in a much more... positive light, I believe is the right term, people are unhappy. The movie's tagline is "From the most unexpected place, comes a bold new call for peace." The equation of murder leading to peace is probably where the most valid claim comes from.