Paragon NTFS for Mac vs Tuxera NTFS for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VortexMK, Feb 5, 2013.

1. macrumors member

VortexMK

I bought 1 TB WD My Passport external Hard Drive on which I've copied all files I need form my PC. I'll copy those files to iMac when it arrives (for two weeks) and after that, this external hdd will serve me as a back up disk (but also for file exchange with other PCs and iMacs). External HDD is now formatted in NTFS and I know Mac OS X can read, but can't write on NTFS disks. Which software to use for this purpose?

"Paragon NTFS for Mac" or "Tuxera NTFS for Mac"?
    Links:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
    http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

Is this software safe for system? Do they cause system instability?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Tuxera.....

I dont know about it, but Paragon NTFS I know and use it when the ocasional Windows drive comes to me. No problems in the machine when this is installed.....:eek: Only thing is to check compatibility with your current OS/hardware. In the time I bought it, one can download a demo/trial. Maybe doing it is worth, I think....

:):apple:

3. thread starter macrumors member

VortexMK

Currently there is a version 10 of "Paragon NTFS fo Mac" and version 2012.3.4 of "Tuxera NTFS for Mac" and both support Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

4. macrumors 65816

designs216

Paragon is the one I use and it has been seamless. There is also a freeware version of the Tuxera offering called NTFS-3G that might be OK for occasional use.

5. thread starter macrumors member

VortexMK

6. macrumors newbie

Any luck uninstalling

I saw a post that said it (the free tool) was hard to uninstall. Any help with this?

7. macrumors 6502

Formatting the drive as ExFAT is a good alternative. With the right updates even WinXP supports ExFAT.

8. macrumors G3

This also means one wouldn't have to install any new filesystem software on the Mac. Which prevents issues at software updates and upgrades.

9. macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have used both. Paragon is somewhat faster and Tuxera also shows more odd bugs. Go for Paragon even if it costs a little more.

10. macrumors 6502a

Zellio

If this is a HDD it's better to use NTFS. SSDs should use ExFat or... any version of fat.

11. macrumors 6502

I've always used Tuxera and never had any problems at all.

12. macrumors member

Seagate drives that are Mac compatible allow you to get Paragon for free. I think it only works with Seagate drives but here is the link, I didn't have to sign in or anything, so give it a shot with another brand and see if it works...

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

It says on the right side it gives a list of Seagate drives it's compatible with, but it can't hurt to try this driver. All it seems to do is ad ExFat, NTFS, Windows NT Filesystem (NTFS) and Windows NT Filesystem NTFS (Compressed) to the options in Disk Utility for Erasing/Partitioning. I don't see why it wouldn't work with other drives.

It shows up in Disk Utility just like Tuxera.

13. bigpics, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

macrumors regular

bigpics

Hey, thanks for saving me $20!

And it just works... :)

It makes the point, btw, that it will only work with Seagate drives (I have a 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus), but I have no other NTFS formatted volume to test it with....

UPDATE: I do have a Flash drive formatted in NTFS, and even with the free Seagate Paragon install, it's still Read Only. So it does indeed appear to be limited to Seagate drives.

14. Philip Stancil, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

macrumors newbie

Philip Stancil

I can second what bigpics said. I've tried using Seagate's free version of Paragon for a non-Seagate drive and it does not work.

15. macrumors 65816

Toltepeceno

Yep, already tried it a while back and it did not work with non seagate drives.

16. macrumors newbie

thegonz

Just had to chime in and say the Seagate driver worked perfectly on my Mac OS X using my 5TB seagate hard drive. Thanks! Saved me $20 so I had to come back, register, and say thank you!!