Parallax, who uses it?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by PittsDriver, Sep 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

It doesn't make me sick, I just don't find it to be an interesting feature of iOS 7. Maybe I don't have the right wallpapers set to make good use of it? I am curious who actually keeps it enabled and why.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

At first I had it enabled, then turned it off to see about battery issues. Now it's back on and no battery issues that I see.

Otherwise, all I notice is the background moves a little. I don't know what else it really does.

3. macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't like wallpaper with patterns so I turned it off (currently using one of the stock gradients). My lock screen is currently a photo I took of a rose so I don't think it would look interesting with parallax enabled. However, it is an interesting feature and I can see lots of people using and enjoying it.

4. macrumors 6502

IMO, it's not really noticeable unless you are "looking" for the effect.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I guess I don't know what else it really does either. To me the background moving a bit is just more of an annoyance than anything. I guess I don't get it.

6. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I don't see it being a "feature" but rather a gimmick. I have it turned on with all of my iOS 7 gadgets, but I wouldn't miss it if I were to turn it off.

7. macrumors G3

eyoungren

iOS 6..1, jailbroken with the DeepEnd tweak. So, yeah, using Parallax before iOS 7 was released to the public. :D

8. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm using it.

The background and icons both move actually.

9. macrumors 65816

Turned it off.

I'm not big on visual candy effects, especially if they reduce battery life.

10. macrumors 6502a

Is parallax supposed to work on the 4S? Because it seems to have been switched off by the 7.0.2 update.

11. macrumors member

I have it on, battery life easily lasts through a day of work. It's not really noticeable though unless you are really looking for it.

12. macrumors member

Can someone tell me where parallax is on the settings menu? Thanks.

13. macrumors 65816

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Reduce Motion (on or off)

14. macrumors member

Doh! No wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking for "parallax" on the menu! Thanks.

15. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

You guys are all using the wrong background. Try a panorama photo and then you'll really see it ;)

16. macrumors newbie

Go to Settings, General, Accessibility, turn on reduced motion. It doesn't refer to paralax specifically but turning on reduced motion turns off the paralax effect.

Personally though I prefer it. It doesn't seem to effect my battery life so why not.

17. L T
    macrumors 6502

L T

Who actually stares at their homescreen long enough to feel sick?

Anyway, I have it off

18. macrumors 6502a

It's lovely when I notice it, but I rarely do. I don't see how it could make anyone sick, it's not that obvious unless you're trying to see it.

19. macrumors member

photodesign

I'm not sure what difference a different aspect ratio or resolution would make. Doesn't it still ask you to position and crop the photo before saving?

20. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Nope. Try and see

21. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Here's a link an article about people experiencing vertigo and motion sickness after updating to iOS 7. IMO, it's crazy. But to each his own.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3995898

I do have parallax enabled and I guess I enjoy it. It's very subtle, but also pretty cool.

----------

Ha! I was pretty disappointed that they pulled it from the GM. I don't know why... Cause those features get old quick. But i still wanted to try it. That being said, it'll be back in a future update. Apparently it caused performance problems when enabled.

22. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Pulled? Still works on my 4s running 7.0.2

23. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Tried it...didn't particularly like it...turned it off.

24. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I like it, something I've noticed though, the parallax effect is far more prominent (and effective) on the iPad. Looks really good with the default wallpaper.

25. macrumors 6502

I have sold my iPhone but my wife turned it off after about 30 seconds in her 4s.