Parallel to USB Port Connections

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nikaeda, Mar 16, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    Does anyone have any experience with connecting a parallel port printer (HP LazerJet 1100) to a USB port Mac? I know there is a cable available for this, but I was told by a Mac salesperson that it is quite complicated to configure everything and can be problematic. Any input appreciated.
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Its can cause a problem due to that fact that it is not a USB printer, so it probably never had drivers written for the mac.
  3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    My guess based upon helping friends in a similar situation is that it is unlikely that you'll be able to use the printer even if you somehow get it connected. It'd be cheaper to either connect it to a PC and print from there via a networked connection to your Mac or to buy a new laser printer for $250 or so.

Others might know how to get it to work, but my experience has been that parallel-port printers do not transition well (or at all) to Mac OS X via USB.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    Thanks guys. Guess I'd be wasting my money on a $54 cable then. May just get an inkjet instead.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Another way to go is to use a DLink DP300U PrintServer. I've got one and hooked my Laserjet 6L to it, and it works great. I think it cost around $60 in Office Depot.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2003
    Wait a mo...

I got an HP par->USB cable for my Laserjet 5MP. Works like a charm. Now I even have it connected to my Airport Express. What a workhorse - 8 years old; it has outlived many inkjets!

Don't getted bullied into buying a new and fallable printer for no reason. Suggest you search google for user experiences with your printer. Good luck!
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    hmmm, interesting. Another twist on this is I'm going to try Virtual PC for Mac. I just looked up some info on that program and apparently, you can use a PC printer from within Virtual PC as long as it's specified on the network. So maybe that will solve it. Thanks for the info.
  8. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yabbut: Your LaserJet 5MP was a Postscript, Mac compatible, networkable laser from the get-go.

The Laserjet 1100 is a PCL5 Windows-only printer, not networkable, and it requires an enhanced parallel port (ECP) which makes it that much more difficult to emulate though USB. There are no Mac drivers available from HP.

Nikeada: If it were me I wouldn't bother spending the effort on it.