Parallels 3.0 game trouble, Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tennismanclay, Jun 27, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

tennismanclay

okay so today i upgraded to parallels 3.0, i have been using parallels 2 for a while and am familiar with it. Once i got it running i noticed that if i wanted to edit my virtual machine (windows xp home) to have more ram it would not let me, it simply says that the maximum ram is 264mb, i thought you could get more ram than this?

Secondly i tried running halo 1 through parallels, after i got it installed i started it up and i got this message.

It says that A problem occured initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

It gives me a machine info saying 616mhz and 272mb???

I just thought parallels 3 could do games... Or is there just step i missed in installing?

any help is appreciated

Clay

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Halo requires DirectX 9, Parallels only supports DirectX 8

3. thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

o... danget

Well even tho i guess now it wont work i guess i will explain what i did a few minutes ago. I put a setting to activate direct x and then i loaded up halo again and it worked, i got to the main window and the background was there but no words, so it didnt work.... it also screwed up my resolution after i quit it...

Anybody know any good DirectX 8 games???

Thx, Clay

4. macrumors regular

user13

A list from the Parallels 3d support page (they are tested and are said to be working well):
    The list is bigger in fact, these are only tested ones.

5. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I do believe a lot of those games actually require DX9. I hadn't seen any details, but all of the DX8 games i had tried worked and the 2 DX9 games i had tried didn't. Anyway, I'm glad it has a nice list of games!

6. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the max memory is not 264mb, you have to go into preferences and change the max memory in there, and then you can change the max memry on individual vm's. this can allow you to beef it up to 1gb if u have enuf, tho i wouldnt recommend it!!!!!(depending on ur system)

7. macrumors member

this means I cannot play with any prince of persia for example?