parallels activation - no internet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dale.albiston, Dec 19, 2006.

1. dale.albiston macrumors member

quick question, hopefully will finally pickup a macbook pro tonight, I'm looking at dropping 'parallels' onto it with xp etc, basically for microsquish access.

question: will I encounter a problem setting up / activating / registering parallels withotu an internet connection (I'm using a work connection at the mo, which the mac won't come within 60 miles of).

I *can* email files back and forth if need be, but parallels will have no direct access to the net.

If I read the website right the product requires an activation key (I'm getting the CD version from a shop: does the key come in the box?). I have no problem with the principle of activating / registering on line, its just I'm not going to be able to. By email, or god forbid by snail mail is not an issue.

is this likely to be a problem. I have emailed parallels, but haven't had a reply yet.

ta for any help/ideas.

Its not gunna stop me getting the mac, but if I can't get parallels working until i get on line (months away) I'll wait and get it then.

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

You will get the cd-key inside the box. I myself got the bot a few dys ago and installed it on my sisters macbook, i did not need an internet connection or i am 99% sure i did not need an internet access to activate it.

3. dale.albiston thread starter macrumors member

excellent thanks, I did sound like the internet activation was for the download version, but its nice to here the key is in the box :)

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

There is an update that is something like 30mb or so which has lots of improvements plus bug fixes that i really recommend you download.

5. dale.albiston thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to see if i can grab it from my work machine to a usb key, if so :) if not.. well it will have to wait till I'm online. Have to wait and see on that one

6. Andrew05151 macrumors newbie

Yes, I believe that the new build adds the ability to drag and drop files from the VM to OS X. Extremely useful :eek:

7. SLAPSHOTW macrumors member

And don't forget to install parallels tools when inside windows. It makes it 1000 times better.