Parallels and 802.11x

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by richard4339, Nov 29, 2006.

1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've noticed that when running any version of Windows through Parallels when connecting through a network that uses 802.11x authentication, Windows can never see the network connection. Is there a way to work around this?

2. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Just an update. Parallels doesn't see the network adapter in the emulated version as a wireless adapter; it just sees if you have an active connection. If you're using a WPA encrypted network, for example, Parallels puts you on the network, and assigns a second IP address on your router to this virtual machine. However, it does not do this for the wireless zero connection.

Any ideas anyone?

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

What is a wireless zero connection?

My impression is that WPA authentication on OSX lets virtual XP use the network. Is that not the case?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but in my environment the MAC address of the wifi card must be registered. Parallels uses a virtualized NIC and has it's OWN MAC address. I simply changed the MAC address to be the same as the one I had registered for use and now I have no troubles at all.