Parallels And Boot Camp (one windows license?)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by karmacoma, Jan 23, 2007.

1. karmacoma macrumors newbie

Hi.

I've got Boot Camp installed on my MacBook Pro and want to add Parallels so that I can use both.

Do I need to purchase another license of Windows XP, or can I use the existing license that I've installed on the Boot Camp partition?

Thanks in advance.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The latest release candidate of Parallels supports using the Boot Camp partition install of XP in the virtual machine environment. Only one license/activation would be required.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Seriously? That's awesome! I really enjoyed the Parallels trial but couldn't justify having 2 windows partitions installed- this solves that problem. Looks like I will be buying Parallels now!

4. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

At least with the latest beta, it does ask me to reactivate Windows the first time I load a bootcamp windows under Parallels, but it reactivates fine and then it works without requiring activation from then on.

5. karmacoma thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet! I'm downloading Parallels as we speak.

Thanks everyone!

6. giah macrumors newbie

help

I'm pretty new to this whole mac thing (got my mac 2 weeks ago) and I'm wondering how to get parallels to boot from my bootcamp partition. I don't understand how it works. Do I have to install windows again with parallels? because in the " More options" dialog can only select an image or cd to install.

7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

You do have the latest beta, right? The release version of Parallels does not support booting via a boot camp drive.

To boot via boot camp in Parallels

1. File|New.
    2. Select Custom and Next.
    3. Select Windows, Windows XP, and Next.
    4. Set your RAM and Next.
    5. Select Use Boot Camp.

Good luck.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

On a side note, has anybody figured a good way to back up their Boot Camp partition?