Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karmacoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Hi.

I've got Boot Camp installed on my MacBook Pro and want to add Parallels so that I can use both.

Do I need to purchase another license of Windows XP, or can I use the existing license that I've installed on the Boot Camp partition?

Thanks in advance.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The latest release candidate of Parallels supports using the Boot Camp partition install of XP in the virtual machine environment. Only one license/activation would be required.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
The latest release candidate of Parallels supports using the Boot Camp partition install of XP in the virtual machine environment. Only one license/activation would be required.

Seriously? That's awesome! I really enjoyed the Parallels trial but couldn't justify having 2 windows partitions installed- this solves that problem. Looks like I will be buying Parallels now!

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly

At least with the latest beta, it does ask me to reactivate Windows the first time I load a bootcamp windows under Parallels, but it reactivates fine and then it works without requiring activation from then on.

giah

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
help

I'm pretty new to this whole mac thing (got my mac 2 weeks ago) and I'm wondering how to get parallels to boot from my bootcamp partition. I don't understand how it works. Do I have to install windows again with parallels? because in the " More options" dialog can only select an image or cd to install.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
You do have the latest beta, right? The release version of Parallels does not support booting via a boot camp drive.

To boot via boot camp in Parallels

1. File|New.
2. Select Custom and Next.
3. Select Windows, Windows XP, and Next.
4. Set your RAM and Next.
5. Select Use Boot Camp.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.