Parallels and/or BootCamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Parnicail, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Parnicail macrumors newbie

Parnicail

Hello folks,
    I am returning to Mac-land after a 10+ year hiatus in PC-world. Yesterday I purchased a mac pro with the intention of being able to boot in both OSX as well as WinXP. My main focus with the windows platform is online gaming. I am mostly looking for an ability to run the new Vanguard Saga of Heroes game being released later this month by Sigil/Sony Online Entertainment.

Machine Infos:
    Machine Name: Mac Pro
    Machine Model: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:
    Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x7249
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140

The kind employee at the Apple store insisted that I install Parallels and that this would work flawlessly. After installing the program and Windows XP... updating windows and direct x, I found I couldnt update the graphic card drivers. I downloaded the Vanguard Beta client anyway to see if it would work... and sure enough it would not without "3D acceleration" turned on in the video card driver. So I came to this haven in search of answers. I did quite a bit of searching and found (correct me if I am wrong) that bootcamp is really the way to go when utilizing winxp for 3D games.

Sounds great!

My dilemma is...
    What steps do I take now to essentially backtrack to the time before I installed Parallels?

I read through the Parallels user manual, specifically the part about uninstalling... and I am still not sure if simply performing this step will remove the virtual disk, thus wiping everything related to the winXP install. Will it? Or do I need to perform something else to remove the windows OS? I am just kinda lost :)

What steps do you all recommend I take to resolve my issue?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, anything that requires 3D graphics will need to be run under Boot Camp and not Parallels (for now)

To remove your Parallels virtual windows OS simply delete everything inside the ~/Library/Parallels/ folder.

3. Parnicail thread starter macrumors newbie

Parnicail

Worked like a champ. Thank you for the response.

In case anyone else finds this thread from the search function: Vanguard runs beautifully on a Mac with bootcamp and WinXP.