Parallels/bootcamp problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvryDayImShufln, Mar 12, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hi I'm trying to install parallels, to get my XP partition running in OS X under coherence so I can run a specific software piece I need. However, every time I try to get the bootcamp partition (after selecting "custom") the "use boot camp" option is faded out and I cannot select it.

I have version 3816 of parallels. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks alot in advance!

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

you tried formatting it for windows, NTFC or fat32. mac can only read NTFC not write to it, so that maybe your problem

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That would be NTFS not NTFC. And whilst OSX can't write to NTFS that has nothing to do with running Parallels. It's running Windows. Windows can use NTFS quite happily. And Parallels supports using an NTFS Bootcamp partition.

Have you installed the required Parallels Tools for Bootcamp (see here)?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The PDF that came with the latest GM version indicates you should not install those tools.

Can you give us any more details on your setup?

5. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Yeah I read to not install that so I made sure not to. There's not much to say, it's formatted in FAT32, 15 gig partition, C2D 2.33 MBP with 2 gigs of ram.

I use bootcamp often, windows XP runs fine within it. It is SP2 as required.

6. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln