Parallels & Bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Doubtful, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Doubtful macrumors newbie

I was just wondering that if I got Parallels installed if it can use the Windows installation that Bootcamp uses?

I'm not sure if that makes much sense. But I have Bootcamp installed and I can use Windows but I've been kind of curious about Parallels. It seems more convenient.

Would I just have a separate installation for Parallels? That's all it comes down to I guess.

Thanks for your help.

2. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

3. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

What about can one use the same Windows with Bootcamp and Parallels? Not the same installation, but can I install the from the same XP Home DVD on both platforms? Or will I get told off by the Windows activation system?

4. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

That's a good question. I've been wondering that myself.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It depends on the Windows license you have and the mercy of Microsoft.

The onlince activaton will porbably fail and give you a phone number to call. There have been reports of people calling the 1-800 activation number and getting a new activation code for the Parallels install, but there is no guarantee that Microsoft will give you a new activation code...

B

6. kouljackson macrumors newbie

I've been a long time Windows installer and every time i have to reinstall windows and call the 1-800 # i tell them that my system crashed and I had to reinstall Windows from the ground up. They never give me crap about getting anew code.

7. joe8232 macrumors regular

If you mean the same installation as in only install windows once and have both boot from it then unforunately you cannot. However, i installed xp with bootcamp and parallels (in that order) and when it came to activating windows in parallels I rang the number here in the UK and didn't have a problem getting a new code.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ah, but with the Windows Genuine Advantage crap now in effect, if you have two active installs from the same CD Key, you stand a good chance of having further updates blocked from one of them....

B

9. w7ox macrumors member

They know Windows, so how could they doubt such a likely (and common) report :)

Phil