Parallels , can two virtual machine talk? Help needed asap

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by winuxgeek, Aug 23, 2006.

1. winuxgeek macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I was about to purchase a macbook pro tonight but I was unable to get an answer to this question. I need to run virtual machines on the macbook pro to test software. Here is an example of what I need to do. I would like to run windows server 2k3 in a virtual machine and also run a windows xp virtual machine. Now I dont need to share an internet connection but I need the 2k3 vm to communicate with the xp vm. Follow me? Now I know this can be done with vmware but can parallels do that? Will I be abe to ping the 2k3 vm from the xp vm? I hope to purchase the laptop in the morning so any advice would be appreciated.

2. winuxgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes. Each virtual machine will have it's own IP address.

4. winuxgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

godbless your soul, I needed someone to confirm lol. The dude at the apple store was telling me that I couldnt even run two vms at the same time. is parallels issueing the ips or are they coming from the router that is issueing the ips to the mac?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I am at this moment in time, right now, running two VMs using Parallels - XP and Fedora Core 5. One has the IP address 192.168.0.3, the other has the IP address 192.168.0.6 (the Mac is 192.168.0.2) - the IP addresses are issued by DHCP on the router. I can ping and access Apache that's running on the Fedora VM, and ssh into it.

The only issue is the amount of RAM needed - CPU usage is generally 10-20%