Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England

Jerion

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
If you bought 11 a week ago you'll be eligible for a free upgrade to 12.
Aye, installed the free upgrade today. It's definitely a lot faster than 11 on the Sierra public betas. Can't speak to anything else about it yet though.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
What a surprise: People on Macrumors complaining about the price of software.

You're right. It should be free. They should work to serve you.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Quite expensive, but I'm keen to see how well Overwatch performs considering it's being touted as a feature, according to 9to5mac and CNet.
Overwatch would only run well if you had a pretty good mac pro, since parallels will only use half of your computers specs

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
It's a free market. I would buy it for $25 a year, it's really an excellent product, but the price is too high and don't need Windows, much less in an expensive VM.
I upgrade every OTHER year so for me, it IS $25 a year.
I don't know why another poster said it breaks every single MacOS upgrade.
I update my MacOS every year and only Parallels every other year and it works fine.
It averages out to $2 a month. Big deal. It's excellent software and I've only had one small problem with it since day 1.
I love coherence mode and well....I just need it to run some windows only programs I just have to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: poorcody and H2SO4

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Haven't read this whole thread. I prefer Fusion because in my opinion Parallels is too invasive. I also don't like their licensing model.

I just fear that Fusion has become abandonware and that there will be no Sierra version.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
What do you all run in a VM anyway?
Trados
Notepad++ (No, there is nothing even close in OS X - specially when dealing with XML linearization and things like that)
Sound Forge (Not as much as before. Sound Forge on OS X is not up to par)
Passolo
Catalyst
Kutools and Translation Tools for Word (Windows only)
Arbortext

and I can go on and on and on...

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I've used them since at least version 8, upgrading every time it was offered; they still haven't fixed my bug report from version 10. I may go to VirtualBox instead.
[doublepost=1471538811][/doublepost]
Trados
Notepad++ (No, there is nothing even close in OS X - specially when dealing with XML linearization and things like that)
Sound Forge (Not as much as before. Sound Forge on OS X is not up to par)
Passolo
Catalyst
Kutools and Translation Tools for Word (Windows only)
Arbortext

and I can go on and on and on...

Have you tried Sublime Text?

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I don't understand all the hate for Parallels in this thread. This is actually very nice software. As a developer, I love being able to switch between Windows and MacOS. Makes my life so much easier. Also the vagrant plugin is well done, and saves me from having to run virtualbox (which is horrible to use 100% every day). As far as I'm concerned $100/year is WELL worth it.

I agree with you. I'm also a developer and for me, it works very well and worth the subscription price. VirtualBox also gives me a world of problems: Unity is a horror story with Unity, I have a game called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 that has never worked on VirtualBox, and there's no feature like Coherence mode on VirtualBox. (Unless there is since the last time I've used it. And that was about 2-3 years ago.)

If there's a better virtualization software out there, though, then I might switch, but I need to make sure that I don't have to go through a headache just switch it over. I keep hearing "VMWare" over here, but I'm a little wary about it.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
I've used them since at least version 8, upgrading every time it was offered; they still haven't fixed my bug report from version 10. I may go to VirtualBox instead.
[doublepost=1471538811][/doublepost]

Have you tried Sublime Text?
Yes I have. And also Oxygen, Brackets, Atom, BBEdit, Eclipse... and I always find myself needing to go back to Notepad ++ someway or the other.

The type of text files we work with in the localization industry can be quite challenging for some of the other tools.

Maleption

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
I just bought Desktop 11 a week ago. My work discount makes the annoyance somewhat smaller.

I use it almost exclusively to do streaming between Windows 10 and my Xbox One, and thus make my Steam Controller work with the console. :cool:
You are eligible to upgrade to v12 for free.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Add a few minor features and charge a whole lot. “upgrade” price of $49.99 basically every year. A normal “upgrade” price is usually $19.99.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Been running VMware Fusion 8 Pro as my preferred virtualization software on my MBP. While Parallels Desktop 12 does look pretty robust, doubt I'd switch.
VMWare fired entire Fusion developers earlier this year. The company is using off-shore contractors for maintenance and future version. So don't be so sure about that.
[doublepost=1471553300][/doublepost]
Easier for them to say considering Fusion is now developed entirely by offshore contractors (it fired the entire team in January).

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I recently returned to school and was taking a SQL basics class. The lessons required the use of SQL Management Studio which is a windows only application. I could have used the school's computers but since it was an online class, i wanted to use my own Mac. I created a Boot Camp partition along with Windows 10 and installed SQL Management Studio. I also installed Parallels demo. I decided very quickly I would rather have Windows running inside of my Mac OS. Things worked very well for me with this configuration. I liked being able to share files between the web browser I needed to use for the online class and the SQL Management Studio application withing Windows 10.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Easier for them to say considering Fusion is now developed entirely by offshore contractors (it fired the entire team in January).
That's not entirely accurate.

This was posted by Michael Roy on the VMware communities forum on March 23, 2016 in response to the many questions people have on the future of Fusion. Michael Roy is the Product Line Marketing Manager for Fusion, Fusion Pro, Workstation Pro and Workstation Player at VMware. He guides product roadmap and messaging, produces and presents technical collateral, and works across teams to refine product integration strategy.
Thanks for the feedback. We hear you.

One thing to note however is that the only team affected was the UI team.

All core hypervisor, virtual device and platform layer development remains unchanged. This includes graphics, networking, USB devices, and everything that doesn't fall explicitly under 'UI'.

Further, the old UI team is actively transitioning the code knowledge to the new team directly, it's not a matter of 'go read the docs'.

Lastly, many of the key UI developers are still with VMware working on other projects and will be able to share their expertise if the new team requires it in the future.

While we're on the topic... The new team is actually twice as large as the old and more specialized in the areas where we want Fusion to grow. We have gained support for our updated roadmap the past few weeks, and while I can't get into the details yet, we (the product team) are incredibly excited about the direction that we're taking the product in, and that direction is largely drawn with feedback from users like you and everyone else who has chimed in on this thread.

Keep it coming! We're reading everything!

So I am personally hopeful for the future of Fusion and Workstation and that VMware will continue to support it.

Reactions: ShinySteelRobot

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
What do you all run in a VM anyway?

Windows browser testing for web development. Often I'll load up 3 or 4 different Windows versions VMs with various versions of IE/FF/Chrome etc to check for bugs, or troubleshoot specific bugs that clients report to me in say, IE9 on Windows 8 etc.

Gotta say I need to do this a lot less these days. It used to be an essential part of the process when IE6/7/8 were still in play (and all my VMs were tiny XP installs), but the IE issues are largely gone in 9 onward (and Edge now), and FF/Chrome have been pretty solid for cross-platform rendering.

Only reason I'm on Parallels 11 instead of 10 is someone bought a new Mac and it came with a free copy of 11. Don't think I'm going to bother with 12 unless 11 completely breaks in Sierra.
[doublepost=1471562269][/doublepost]
For the love of god don't clog up my Dock with Open Windows Apps! STOP IT Parallels!

Or YOU can just turn that option off in your VM options under "Applications".
[doublepost=1471562361][/doublepost]
I agree with you. I'm also a developer and for me, it works very well and worth the subscription price. VirtualBox also gives me a world of problems: Unity is a horror story with Unity, I have a game called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 that has never worked on VirtualBox, and there's no feature like Coherence mode on VirtualBox. (Unless there is since the last time I've used it. And that was about 2-3 years ago.)

If there's a better virtualization software out there, though, then I might switch, but I need to make sure that I don't have to go through a headache just switch it over. I keep hearing "VMWare" over here, but I'm a little wary about it.

Why don't you use the Mac version of Unity?

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
When the newest Mac you can buy is this outdated and you want to run windows you really need to question wtf you're doing with your life

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Yeah good luck with your Fusion. VMware fired all Fusion developers in the US a year ago...
Thanks for the tip. Maybe they deserved to get fired?
[doublepost=1471582071][/doublepost]
VMWare fired entire Fusion developers earlier this year. The company is using off-shore contractors for maintenance and future version. So don't be so sure about that.
[doublepost=1471553300][/doublepost]
I don't really care as long as the software works. But, if it ends up sucking or if customer support proves less then ideal, then I'll consider making the switch.

Last edited:

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
When the newest Mac you can buy is this outdated and you want to run windows you really need to question wtf you're doing with your life

Perusing dell.com, it doesn't seem like what Apple offers is "outdated." Apple offers the same CPUs, fast SSDs, same networking, lighter laptops, phenomenal Retina screens, plus touches like backlit keyboards and magsafe plugs - not to mention top tier service and support, including just walking into an Apple store with your device to get it serviced. About the only spot where it seems to fall short is using USB 3 instead of 3.1, but considering that SATA III is limited to 6 gbps, for a single drive connection over USB you're not really missing a lot. The fact is, the underlying component manufacturers haven't really moved a whole lot lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastasleep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.