Parallels Desktop 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhinoevans, Nov 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I loaded Parallels Desktop 8 on my new cMBP today.

Installed without issues. Then Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Also installed without Issue. Works great, although so far all I have done is use VPN, IE, and some other small programs.

I guess Boot-Camp is less expensive, but I was able to pickup Parallels for $35 when I order extra 16G ram from OWC.

Also nice to be running Windows in OS X, without having to reboot. Probably runs faster the other way, but I will not game in the Windows 7 setup.. That is what I have XBOX for.

Anyways, just thought I would comment.

Intent is to use the MAC 100% and only windows for application that are not MAC compatible.

2. macrumors 6502

b0fh666

fusion user here, works VERY well. lots of VMs for testing stuff, windows server 2008 r2/64, windows 7 ultimate/64, two windows XP / 32 and one gentoo linux with KDE just for kicks :D

love how fusion / OSX handle fullscreen VMs as 'spaces', much nicer to use than workstation on windows (also use that @ work, and the VMs are portable between both just need to copy the virtual disk :cool:)

3. macrumors 6502

itegypt

+1 fusion

4. macrumors newbie

Fusion here too, ran the trial then bought it about a week before it expired as I was more than happy with it

Only using it for Sage at the moment though

One question, are any fusion users using a bootcamp partition as the VM ?

5. macrumors 6502

itegypt

I have used bootcamp partition as the VM before with no issues

6. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

I prefer Parallels, although more expensive, it has *slightly* better performance (although almost negligible), but many more features that integrate it with Mountain Lion better.

I have a Windows 7 VM linked from my boot camp partition, I have a Windows 8 VM, and a Windows XP VM. All run incredibly well.

You can't go wrong with either though, if you are on a tight budget Fusion is a great option.

7. macrumors 6502a

VirtualBox. Free and works just as well.

8. macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Parallels. Full DirectX 10 support (unlike competitors) and really impressive benchmarks.

9. macrumors 6502a

RE: Sage...(which one)

Hi *Sonic*,

Pardon my naiveté concerning Windows applications, but when you say you only use Fusion for Sage, do you mean Sage as in The Sage Notebook, the web interface to a number of symbolic mathematics programs such a maxima, octave, mathematica, MATLAB, gap, axiom, singular, etc.? If so, then let me inform you that you can get a freeware Sage binary that runs under Mac OS X and thus not have to worry about running Windows just for The Sage Notebook.

If, on the other hand, by Sage you mean some other Windows program, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Switon

10. macrumors newbie

Hi Switon,

Sorry I should have elaborated. It is Sage Accounts software I use, sadly they do not do an OSX version, never have and more than likely never will

11. macrumors 68020

Parallels is my choice. Especially since they gave me Parallels 8 for free as a gift for being part of the beta program.

Haven't tried Fusion, but either way they're both quite good, especially if it's just basic use.