Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
K, not too Mac-efficient and I registered on these boards for the specific reason of fidning out the answer to my question.

I want to use Windows on Mac and I already isntalled it and can access it via BootCamp. The problem is, when I do it that way, for some reason, it does not recognize the internet and it asks me to register my copy and I can't because it simply doesn't log onto the internet.

Either way, I was hoping using PARALLELS would help me out in some way but the thing is, I ALREADY have Windows installed. I don't WTF Parallels is asking me to do but when I set up a new virtual machine, it just takes me to a black screen and it says nothing is found or some shizz.

Anywhoo, if I already have Windows installed, how do I get Parallels or any other program to recognize this?

MUCHO GRACIAS to whoever can help.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
K, not too Mac-efficient and I registered on these boards for the specific reason of fidning out the answer to my question.

I want to use Windows on Mac and I already isntalled it and can access it via BootCamp. The problem is, when I do it that way, for some reason, it does not recognize the internet and it asks me to register my copy and I can't because it simply doesn't log onto the internet.

Either way, I was hoping using PARALLELS would help me out in some way but the thing is, I ALREADY have Windows installed. I don't WTF Parallels is asking me to do but when I set up a new virtual machine, it just takes me to a black screen and it says nothing is found or some shizz.

Anywhoo, if I already have Windows installed, how do I get Parallels or any other program to recognize this?

MUCHO GRACIAS to whoever can help.

parallels can not run the installed version of windows on a bootcamp partition (unless things have changed in the new beta, but I thought that all that would now work is that it would recognize the windows partition, but not boot from it). You have to install windows in parallels (look at the instructions, or the faq at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/faq/3/#3-1).

cheers.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
parallels can not run the installed version of windows on a bootcamp partition (unless things have changed in the new beta, but I thought that all that would now work is that it would recognize the windows partition, but not boot from it).
No, the latest Parallels betas can run Windows from the Boot Camp partition (with mixed results, I think it works for many people though). You just pick the "Boot Camp" option when creating a new VM.

I don't know if this would help with your internet problems though. Did you install the Apple Boot Camp drivers? Though those shouldn't be needed for the internet to work. I think you're going to have to find out WHY it doesn't work. I've not experienced any problems with the internet in Windows.

Some starter questions:
How are you connected to the internet? DSL, cable, dialup? Using a router? Wireless?

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Did you install the Apple Boot Camp drivers?

I suspect that is his problem.

Did you burn a drivers CD when installing Boot Camp? You need to insert that CD in Windows else Windows won't work properly.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
From parallels forums:

* Boot from BootCamp partition. Another long awaited feature that lets you boot your 32-bit Windows XP residing on Boot Camp partition directly in Parallels Desktop for Mac.
IMPRORTANT! You need to boot in your Windows XP natively through Boot Camp and install Parallels Tools for Boot Camp package in it before your first boot in Parallels Desktop for Mac.
NOTE! It is not possible to suspend Virtual Machine connected to Boot Camp for integrity reasons.
NOTE! Running Boot Camp in Virtual Machine will need to reactivate your Windows XP installation.

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Normally, with the latest beta, you only need to reactivate it once. When you do run Windows XP Bootcamp via Parallels, it will use an alternative profile, so you don't need to reactivate every time (which was a problem before).

It works fine on my iMac.

However, I do use a volume licence XP key, these don't need to be reactivated all the time.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks

Thanks, you guys are really helpful.

Anyways, can anyone guide me towards the new Apple BootCamp drivers?

Also, I got one disc burnt when I installed Windows onto my Mac and when I put it in my computer it shows up as 'Mac Drivers'. You're saying I need to have this in my computer when loading Windows?

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Also, I downloaded the beta and I see no option to boot from bootcamp...

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Also, I got one disc burnt when I installed Windows onto my Mac and when I put it in my computer it shows up as 'Mac Drivers'. You're saying I need to have this in my computer when loading Windows?

Yes. You need to take that disk out, then boot in to Windows and then put it back in once Windows has booted. It should then start a program that will install the necessary software to get the Internet working.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Anyways, can anyone guide me towards the new Apple BootCamp drivers?
Same place they always were. Nab the latest version from Apple's site, or just run Software Update (I think it shows up it SW, doesn't it?).

Also, I downloaded the beta and I see no option to boot from bootcamp...
You should have a look at the manual! When you're creating a new VM, choose the "Custom" option, then it will let you choose your Boot Camp partition.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
First off a lot of people are stating some wrong things in this thread. You need to go to the source: Link.

Read the linked thread or you might mess things up more.

Nuc

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
With regards to activating Windows, you do not need to activate it during the install. There should be an option somewhere to skip the activation. Once everything is done installing, and you finally get into Windows, you can install the drivers from that CD you created, and activate in 1 of 2 ways:

1.) If you get the internet working after installing drivers, you can activate Windows either from an icon in the system tray(should appear as a pair of keys), or from a shortcut in the Start menu.

2.) If you still have problems with the internet, you can activate over the phone. There will be an option to activate over the phone somewhere in the activation screen, it will then give you a helluva long string of numbers, and a 1-800 phone number you can call to activate. You tell the person over the phone that long string, and they then read you back a long string that you have to type in.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I activated Windows through phone.

Still, when I use my Macintosh Drivers CD to install the drivers, it gets a fatal error around the Macintosh keyboard ones.

I tried two different CDs so what gives?

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
By the way there is NO OPTION under custom for a BootCamp partition. I downloaded the parallels beta a million times...

It only says ISO and real CD/DVD...

SO frustrating.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Then I think you might have the wrong beta installed. Make sure you have this one. It's there. Trust me.

I also recommend you take a few seconds and look at the manual that comes with the beta. All of these questions you're asking are answered quite clearly in there. If something in the manual doesn't make sense, then ask us here. From the tone of your posts you seem to not have much patience, but you're going to need to develop some if you're going to do stuff like this.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I activated Windows through phone.

Still, when I use my Macintosh Drivers CD to install the drivers, it gets a fatal error around the Macintosh keyboard ones.

I tried two different CDs so what gives?

The keyboard drivers have proven problematic. You MUST have your copy of OS X current with ALL updates and firmware successfully up to date BEFORE running boot camp or burning a driver CD. You must also use quality media. Store brand CD's will give you an incredible number of coasters when you're burning anything more intricate than music.

It's also worth keeping an external keyboard and mouse handy for the install process as even a "normal" installation process may drop laptop keyboard support as soon as you boot from the XP install DVD.

Truly, when customers call me about Boot Camp I encourage them to bring it in and have us do it as there are quite a number of pitfalls involved and having a full service shop handy can prove a godsend for such a finicky process.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Then I think you might have the wrong beta installed. Make sure you have this one. It's there. Trust me.

I also recommend you take a few seconds and look at the manual that comes with the beta. All of these questions you're asking are answered quite clearly in there. If something in the manual doesn't make sense, then ask us here. From the tone of your posts you seem to not have much patience, but you're going to need to develop some if you're going to do stuff like this.

I have downloaded THAT beta several times, including one time just now.

It has only the option of the ISO and direct from CD/DVD. Why?! I go to custom and click More Options and this is what it gives me.

Man, this is kinda' lame...like, it shouldn't be this problematic to get Windows going. Like damn!!

Anyways, I'm going to try and update my Mac firmware and all that shiz even though I think it's al up to date and burn it again (onto a quality disc?)

Oh and what would having an external mouse and keyboard even do to rectify the situation?

EDIT: Just checked for updates and all that had to be updated was Ichat. ..Wow, lol.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have downloaded THAT beta several times, including one time just now.

It has only the option of the ISO and direct from CD/DVD. Why?! I go to custom and click More Options and this is what it gives me.

Man, this is kinda' lame...like, it shouldn't be this problematic to get Windows going. Like damn!!

Anyways, I'm going to try and update my Mac firmware and all that shiz even though I think it's al up to date and burn it again (onto a quality disc?)

Oh and what would having an external mouse and keyboard even do to rectify the situation?

EDIT: Just checked for updates and all that had to be updated was Ichat. ..Wow, lol.
Not sure what you mean by "ISO and direct from CD/DVD" - are you looking at the CD/DVD options there? If you've installed the parallels tools on your Bootcamp partition, you should be asked if you want to use the Bootcamp partition when you go through the new Virtual Machine Wizard. If you haven't installed the Parallels tools for bootcamp, then boot into Windows and install them. Then, create a new Virtual Machine in Parallels and you should see the prompt.
If you haven't done that and simply created a new, blank, Virtual Machine then you will get the black screen you're possibly talking about because it's basically a machine without an Operating System until you install one

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
If you've installed the parallels tools on your Bootcamp partition, you should be asked if you want to use the Bootcamp partition when you go through the new Virtual Machine Wizard. If you haven't installed the Parallels tools for bootcamp, then boot into Windows and install them.
No no no... you don't install the Parallels tools anymore, not with the last two betas or todays RC1 release. In fact if you have them installed, you must UNINSTALL them before using the new version.

The option to use your Boot Camp partition SHOULD be one of them options when creating a new VM using the Custom option. If it's not, I don't know what the problem is but the Parallels forums are a good place to look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.