Parallels Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theimp, Nov 14, 2006.

1. theimp macrumors member

I am installing windows using parallels. I only have dell xp home cd to use. I couldn't find the key but found out online how to from the disc. I did that, and now in the xp setup in parallels it says the key is invalid. How do I fix this?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

look on the dell, its some where. If not call up microsoft and good luck. I wouldn't exactly tell them right out what you did though. Its sort of frowned upon.

3. theimp thread starter macrumors member

I found the key on the actual dell laptop. Now I keep entering it (CORRECTLY!) and it says invalid product id! Any clue why this is happening? I have a new intel iMac.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Its because its a non transferable product key, It only works with one computer, your laptop.

5. theimp thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I didn't know that. So to use windows on a mac you need to buy a brand new windows? Is there a way to transfer it?

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

nope there is no way to transfer it but If you still have a key of some kind you might be able to.. call windows they shouldnt do anything but dont go right out because it IS frowned upon... :(

And I just did this today and I needed a brand new copy of Windows...

7. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Call support, maybe my friend "jenny" from india can help you out. It actually worked for me when I bought a new motherboard for my PC and it gave me that message.