Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Canada
I have been trying for 2 days to figure this out and finally i solved it...
with something as basic as this i thought i would say it lol.

edit: changed title

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Definitely installing on Parallels from an ISO image seems much smoother than from a CD. Doesn't seem to be as good a choice for Boot Camp.

B

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
I have been trying for 2 days to figure this out and finally i solved it...
with something as basic as this i thought i would say it lol.

edit: changed title

Can you provide some steps/instructions on how to do this?

butaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Canada
Well parralels comes with a image tool which you can find in its folder in the applications folder. You can use it to make images of CD's if for some reason your parallels is not reading the CD.

For the past 2 days, everytime i clicked run for the VM my macbook would either crash or say something about not being able to boot the cd. I tried my windows 98 cd and it worked fine but i didnt want 98. I looked around on some documentation and saw that there was an imaging tool but i didnt think this was to take a direct image of my cd.

After you have the image instead of using default cd/dvd to boot you can choose to boot with the .iso mounted. After doing that it worked the first try!

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I will also confirm this works I was installing XP SP2 from the cd and each time it would give me an error about a corrupt inf file but then when I created an image of the disk and installed from that it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.