Parallels - multi-user, same VM?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by plutnicki, Mar 19, 2007.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Just installed Parallels this weekend with Win XP Home SP2. Works great, actually very simple to get running and working. Very little effort. However, I installed it into my home directory by mistake, and I want both the users of my laptop (Macbook) to have access to it. I copied the /Library/Parallels directory to the Users/Shared directory (copy, not move, I still have the original directory in my Library). I launched Parallels from my account and pointed it to that directory as the default for Virtual Machines.

However, when I launch Parallels from the other account, it wants me to install a new Virtual Machine. I can't go to preferences to see if I can force it to point to the VM I already created.

Any thoughts. So far, Parallels has only returned a .pdf that says to do exactly what I did, without much else in the way of help.

Hopefully I'm missing something simple.
  2. DaYC-Ent macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    here's what I did.

- Logged in as Primary user:
    - Install Parallels in directory of choice
    - Install XP or OS of choice (I put mine in the Parallels folder)
    - Install Mac drivers
    - close XP and Parallels
    - Get Info on the main Parallels folder
    - change permissions to Read & Write for Group and Others
    Logout, and login under other user... XP should load up without even a question.

I was pulling my hair out last night trying to get it to work without 4 different VM's, but figured it out at work, (i moved something i shouldn't have, which kept it all from working... :rolleyes: ) but just got it to work and not even a flinch, it booted right up with the other users.

Good luck!!!