Parallels on 1GB MacBook is not really enough.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by boneca, Feb 20, 2007.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

Just got my MacBook couple days ago: White, 2GHz C2D, 80GB HD, 1GB RAM. Installed Parallels last night and Vista Home Premium. I did express install so all the setting were set automatically. Parallels allocated 8GB of HD and 512MB of RAM to Vista.
    I have to say that performance while running Vista is pretty slow on both sides. I guess 512MB is not really enough for ether of OS.
    Installation was flawless.
    I ordered 2GB of G.Skill RAM from NewEgg last night and hope that it will increase the performance.

boneca

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I have 2Gb on my 24" iMac and Parallels with XP is still...sluggish.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have the same iMac with the same 2GB and find it runs very well. I also find that it runs very well on my MB CD with 2GB. 1GB would not be enough.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Ooh. Aah. Home premium isn't really allowed in Parallels...

I am kinda pushing this as I am irritated, but please visit my thread with a problem I have with it...

How much RAM have you allocated? , as it really shouldn't be...

5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

512 or something. It doesn't matter now as I just run XP in Bootcamp now.

6. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I don't really understand what you trying to say here?
    btw Vista never asked me for a password while installing, only parallels asked. So Vista assumes that I'm admin and never asked me for any kind of confiramtions...

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I reccomend downloading the latest Parallels trial, and running from your BootCamp partition. Give it around 750MB RAM...

8. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

that's what I have right now 512MB for Vista and this is not enough (should be enough for XP but still low) I assume u have no problems with OSX with 1.5GB.
    Anyway give XP 1GB and I assume it will work better.

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I run XP constantly in Parallels ever since I got 2GB of RAM in my iMac, with 384MB devoted to XP. It runs great. Remember when XP came out a top of the line computer had no more than 256MB of RAM. As long as you're only running a couple apps 256MB-512MB should be plenty.

10. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Do you have XP anywhere? This could be a case of VISTA needing more resource than you have.

11. MacVault macrumors 65816

VMware runs better than Parallels with 1GB

I tried Parallels too on my MacBook C2D 1GB. Then I tried VMware Fusion and it seems to me that VMware manages the memory better, or for some reason doesn't seem to make the OS X envrionment so slow when switching between environments. Parallels is nice, but I'm really looking forward to the official VMware Fusion release.