Parallels on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by crazycat, Sep 20, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Says on the website that it can support the mac pro but i downloaded it and instlled it but before i can install the windows XP on it it always crashs and i was wondring if anyone here managed to use it with the mac pros.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

When did you download it? There was a new release yesterday that claims any fixes with Mac Pro's. You want build 1898.

Eariler versions were just kernel panicing for me, I'll try this new one tonight.

3. MacUser4_20 macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up on the new update, I have had the same problem with my MacPro crahsing I will download the new version as well.

4. MacUser4_20 macrumors regular

Download from their site is still build 1848... Where do you obtain 1898?

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Link

Nuc

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Just gave 1898 a quick test with an install of Vista RC1, seems fine although the networking support isn't working, probably just need to tweak it a bit.

There is a new 2Gb limit where Parallels reduces your available system ram to 2Gb before it runs. Even tho I have 2Gb of RAM it resizes from 2048Mb to 2000Mb which seems a bit odd but there you go. I'm told they're working on a proper fix at the moment.

7. waremaster macrumors 6502

They are definetly making progress. But right now it's only utilizing 1 processor and not even as a dual core :( it did run fine until I tried to do a disk benchmark using sisoft sandra then it just quit lol but cpu tested out at about half of what it does in bootcamp.

Oh and the network issues seem to have been resolved.

But the 2gig memory limit has me shelving the product untill that is resolved. I am not limiting my mac's ram for parallels.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Does it support Aero? (update: nope. I wanted to see Aero effects...) I'm gonna give build 1898 a try since the previous release instantly KP'd my Mac Pro before I could even do anything. I have a legit copy of RC1 :eek: but didn't want to install it on my Boot Camp partition since I needed a compatible, stable, non-prerelease version of Windows too.

Update: hey, whaddya know, it works. That's 2GB RAM limit is annoying though, makes you use it and restart to run Parallels, even if you only have 2GB of RAM anyway.

9. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Thanks guys i will try it (downloading it now) and see if it works.

10. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Just curious what the overall stability of parallels is on the Mac Pro. I was thinking of getting one and setting it up to run 2 or 3 virtual machines that would be servers.