Parallels on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by apostrophe, Aug 13, 2006.

1. apostrophe macrumors newbie

apostrophe

Hi there. This is probably a stupid question (I am still a newvie), but I downloaded a trial version of Parallels for my macbookpro a week ago, but haven't been able to make it work.
    Do I need a Windows XP CD to install the guest OS? I can't find the answer in the manuals, they just refer to a 'real' CD Rom/DVD when installing the guest OS, but don't specify anything.
    Anybody have some experience with this?
    Thanks,
    AB

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

3. apostrophe thread starter macrumors newbie

apostrophe

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW you don't need XP or a real CD for Parallels. I installed Win2K into my parallels using an ISO image of the original CD. Much faster.

B

5. justinpignatore macrumors newbie

hey im new here but i could use a little help on this topic also. I have parallels but i dont want to buy XP. Is there any way to get this OS's for cheap or find them somewhere online?

6. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

You can buy OEM versions which are cheaper. Any cheaper than it is probably illegal and cannot be discussed in these forums.

7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

cheap legal options

1) newegg.com usually sells windows xp home sp2 oem for $89
    2) have an old single machine copy of windows from a pc. install. call to activate and convince or beg the rep into giving you access code.

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

If you're a college student you can probably buy a copy of XP real cheap at your campus bookstore.

9. justinpignatore macrumors newbie

thanks guys! im doing all of this just so i can get slingplayer working before i go to college. No one knows when the Mac software is getting released, and i cant risk missing any sport games. that code weavers thing looks cool, but that isnt out yet either.

10. KamikazeH20mln macrumors newbie

KamikazeH20mln

So far code weavers is still in alpha. I'm part of the beta testing program through work. It still has a very very long way to go. They just got it working somewhat with Microsoft Office and a few other applications. Alpha two recked my system library, and had to re-install my Mac OS x.

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Yep....my university has XP Pro SP2 + XP Pro x64 Edition for $10 (both versions)....so check your local university to see if you can get it cheap.