Parallels or Bootcamp Poll

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcl, Jul 7, 2006.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Parallels or Bootcamp Poll:

Not a big gamer, really only need XP for a few accounting programs
    1. Which one do you use ?
    2. Pros ?
    3. Cons ?
    4. Which one is more Stable ?
    :confused:

2. cbetta macrumors regular

for that purpose: parallels... easier to use, no need to leave mac osx.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you don't need 3D support Parallels is the much better option. I use it here and couldn't be happier with it, it's an amazing app.

6. axe7186 macrumors newbie

Along the same lines...I am deciding between parralels and bootcamp.

I will be using it for business programs and am worried that they wouldn't work in XP with the parallels, is this true or will they work? I will have 2GB memory so the slow down doesn't bother me, plus I won't play games on the computer (unless solitare counts).

With parallels what does partitioning the memory do? If I give the parallels 1GB would I only have 1GB in OSX all the time or only when OSX was running along with XP?

7. rickylacoste macrumors newbie

rickylacoste

I prefer bootcamp. It suites more my needs when I have to go windows.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Why wouldn't they work? Parallels virtualizes a PC with a crap video card, if you don't need 3D support they will work just fine, at near native speed.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

Frankly I am keeping my fingers crossed for Darwine.

10. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I've never looked at the parallel application, but bootcamp is working just fine for me.

11. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

12. FozzyBear14620 macrumors newbie

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For 2D applications there can be no doubt that Parallels is the best solution if you dont want the hassle of reboots, and partitioning your drive.

Bootcamp is a better option if the application you wish to use is very hardware accelertaed via the GPU or Soundcard etc...

14. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I have been using bootcamp so far and it works well for me. It just a little hassle to reboot every time.

I have been looking into the Parallel's Desktop and it seems to be a nice way of excessing Windows based programs without the reboot. I have not pulled the trigger yet but probably in the next week or so.

15. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

well keep in mind parallels will be more expensive if you dont already have a copy of windows.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For occasional use, Parallels is fine. The more RAM memory the faster it runs.

The nice thing about Boot Camp and dual booting is that it is more responsive PC. But for some, it is a hassle to dual boot. For me it's not as I often dual (or triple) boot my PC.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Huh?

With either Parallels, or Boot Camp, you must have a copy of Windows to install.

The difference is the cost of Parallels as Boot Camp is free from Apple.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When using Parallels, can you use all ports while using Windows? I've always wondered that. Say, for example, you had something that plugged into your computer vis USB, and this device only works under Windows. Would Parallels allow you to use this device when plugged in, or will Mac OSX get confused and try to use this Windows-only device as well? :confused:

Oh, for your needs, I'd get Parallels.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can install a 30 day Parallels trial. And you can put off activating XP for 30 days. So just download Parallels and install XP on it and Boot Camp, don't activate XP, and see what works for you.

There's no reason for not doing both. I've heard that if you ask nicely, MS will allow two activations for Boot Camp and Parallels, since you can't run both at the same time (which is not strictly true, since there's also a Parallels for Windows).

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure about everything. Parallels has quite a few settings.

What I do know based on standard installation with the iMac that I am using. When running Mac OS X without Parallels running when I insert a CD it shows up as normal under Mac OS X. When Parallels is running, it shows up under Windows XP like normal but does not show up on the Mac desktop. When Parallels is stopped, the CD then appears on the Mac OS X desktop.

The iMac is at the office. So tomorrow I will try a thumb drive and see what happens.

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Parallels is great but keep in mind if you are using ...say..an external USB 2.0 hard drive..It will only be a 1.1 USB under Parallels..

Parallels doesn't emulate USB 2.0 yet.It says 2.0 but is only 1.1.

22. darrengreer macrumors regular

Parallels for everyday Windows use. (10G virtual disk)
    Bootcamp for games. (18G partition)

I may toss bootcamp if I decide I don't want to play games on this thing. We'll see.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In this case wouldn't you just mount the HDD on OS X and just share it with Parallels? Isn't the USB2 more improtant for devices that aren't supported under OS X?

I guess it might have some utility if he external drive was NTFS so you'd be able to mount it read/write...

B