Parallels questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akadmon, Sep 7, 2006.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

Aug 30, 2006
    New England
    Anyone care to share their experience with Parallels?

How does the the speed compare with running PC apps natively in Bootcamp (particularily MS Office, but also Photoshop)?

I read somewhere in an older thread (circa May-June) that Parallels cannot use the Bootcamp install of XP, i.e., if you want/need to run Bootcamp and Parallels you must to install XP twice. Is this still the case with the latest version of Parallels? Also, how likely is OSX 10.5 to include Parallels functionality? I'd rather put up with having to dual boot for a few months than spend $70 for something that will be built into the next OS.
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Parallels creates a disc image (similar to what Virtual PC does). Boot Camp installs Windows on its own partition.

For non 3d apps Parallels is usually the way to go I think.

Also if you already have an Intel Mac you can try Parallels for 15 days for free right from their web site. You are your own best gauge as to speed.
  3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I find the speed of XP in Parallels to be so close to native speed (like when dual booted) that I don't notice any difference. When it comes to graphics, I don't do anything 3D or game-wise, but I do use Windows Media Player for videos and it works great.

The only problem I have is that XP in Parallels can't connect to my BlackBerry 7130e via USB.