Parallels required?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nslyax, Jun 27, 2006.

1. nslyax macrumors regular

In the fine print at the bottom of Apple's "Touche" commercial (where the mac guy says "and I'm a PC"), it states that "Purchase of Windows and Parrallels software required". As I recall, it used to only state that Windows purchase was required. Am I right on this, or is BootCamp already in jeopardy?

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

There are 2 different versions of the commercial, one that says "Purchase of Windows XP Required", and another that says "Purchase of Windows XP and Parrallels Software Required". I have no idea why, but possibly since Boot Camp is in beta, they want to direct costomers to a more stable solution. Just my wild guess, only Apple knows for sure.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

BootCamp is still there and functional.. There's plenty of speculations as to why they are touting Parallels. They seem to appreciate Parallels.

My guess.. Leopard has something very Parallels-like built in and they want folks to get used to that rather than dual-boot.

4. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Do you think that Leopard might support both: dual-boot or having OS running at the same time? Just wondering...

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Theres a lot of rumor and speculation as to why Apple seem to have abandoned bootcamp in order to promote a third party product like 'parallels'.

I'm betting a buy out is in the offing.

Here's the spec thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=211673

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Dual boot will be there as a given. The question is whether Apple will offer a virtualization option out of the box or keep pushing Parallels. Ideally, you'd have both options that used the same windows partition. Parallels is good but there are several features still missing that Apple could potentially implement on their own, like drag and drop file sharing between Windows and OS X a la VPC.

7. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I wonder if Parallels paid for the product mention in Apple's advertising?