Parallels settings

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by riptideMBP, Jun 20, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

May 29, 2011
    Hi, I have a windows 7 installation that I will use solely for games (mostly FPS), and I was wondering what the optimal parallels virtual machine settings would be to virtualize the bootcamp partition for times when I want to do a little gaming but cant reboot (specs in sig). I generally have about 4 gigs of free ram, so should I assign 4GB, or might I somehow see a performance boost in windows from assigning less ram. Also should I give it 1, 2, 3, or for of my "CPUs"? Any tips would be much appreciated
  2. macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    You're not going to be able to game in Parallels. Stick to Bootcamp. I use Parallels for little things that don't require much computing power (business programs, DVD Shrink, etc.), but for gaming I use Bootcamp. I'm on a 2010 27" i7 iMac and I don't/can't game (modern games anyway) using Parallels.

Besides, starting up W7 in Bootcamp takes the same amount of time as starting up W7 in Parallels...

FWIW though, I give Parallels 6 (or 8 - can't remember) GB of RAM (out of 12 total), and 4 CPUs.
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2010
    I've been toying around lately with Parallels and found that the 3D acceleration is a nice bonus with Windows 7.

For anything in gaming, I would stick with Direct X 9 level games. I ran a benchmark on my Virtual machine with my 13" late 2010 Nvidia equipped MacBook Pro.

Using 3D mark (2003 iirc), my system benched at just under 8000 running the full test. I need to get the newer release but it's most likely going to choke.

Overall, I'm very impressed with Parallels 6.0 running Windows 7 at native speed on my 27" ACD. Great software and worth the money!