Parallels... very cool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NorCalLights, Nov 17, 2006.

1. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2006
    I just got Parallels running on my MBP. Very nice. Their Windows installation helper is worth the cost by itself. All you have to do to get Windows XP running is insert the CD and enter the activation key in the window that pops up. Then walk away... Parallels does everything else for you (including all the restarts of the virtual machine). I was blown away. It's way easier to install Windows in Parallels than it is on a PC.

So if you're thinking about it, make the jump.
  2. Gigi macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2006
    You're right. Works like a charm. Never expected it to be that fast :)
  3. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    i'm using the demo version right now and I am totally impressed. It's quick, responsive and jumping back and forth between OS X and XP is easy as can be. Two big thumbs up for parallels so far! if only i'd paid attention when the lil' dialogue box told me how to get out of full screen mode...

4. sulhaq macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2006
    It's a nifty little app for "running" windows, and that's all its good at, it runs windows and does absolutely nothing else. Maybe I've just had bad luck here but whenever I try to connect any external peripheral to get it to work in windows via parallels it crashes, on top of that the processor speed it detects isn't the actual speed and always jumps. I get from Pentium I to Pentium IV detected for my c2d whenever I turn it on. It only has 8 MB of graphics memory and can't run the simplest of games. The wireless goes haywire whenever I run it under parallels on top of giving me a crappy signal strength. Furthermore it's a resource hog. If I am browsing the web and playing iTunes and I run windows on Parallels and do even the simplest tasks the fans start blaring full blast.

It might be that I just have a crappy version or something because any and all problems I get under parallels never occur when things are running natively, both under osx and windows when using bootcamp. In any case it's a definite step forward from Virtual PC but needs a hell of a lot of work as I see it.
  5. SupadudeX macrumors member

Nov 7, 2006
    I run Windows and Linux at the same time. I havent had quite as many problems, but getting USB to work correctly can be tricky some times. Also Parallels freezes up on me sometimes. What is worse is that when it freezes, it consumes a ton of CPU resources. One time it was so bad I had to reboot OSX.
  6. paeza macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2006
    Canberra, Australia
    Just wondering whether parallels will work on my MB c2d 2 Ghz and 1 Gb of ram