Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pentrixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Hey, new here. Parallels won't boot despite following directions to install. It just simply gets stuck at the boot screen. Below is a snapshot.

Thanks in advance,
pentrixter

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 768

pentrixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
It's surely pentrixter huh... interesting.

so... nobody knows? or am i asking a question worthy of ignoring? will i get more help if i asked the parallels forums?

surely thanks in advance,
pentrixter

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Exactly what are you trying to boot? Parallels is trying to boot from CD. Do you have something connected to Parallels virtual CD drive?

Have you mapped your real optical drive to it? If so what CD/DVD is in it? Is it bootable?

Have you mapped it to a disk image? If so same questions?

pentrixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I'm trying to boot Windows XP.

I have a genuine Windows XP CD in my CD drive.

No idea what a real optical drive is. But I do have a Windows XP CD, which is what parallels was asking for, so I'm guessing it should be bootable.

apologize for my ignorance.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
I'm surprised nobody has figured it out yet :(

This is really dumb, but did you remember to:

1. Tell Parallels to use the built-in CD-ROM drive as the drive for the virtual machine
2. Actually press a key when it asked you to

pentrixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I'm surprised nobody has figured it out yet :(

This is really dumb, but did you remember to:

1. Tell Parallels to use the built-in CD-ROM drive as the drive for the virtual machine
2. Actually press a key when it asked you to
yes i did, 1 and 2.

that and i have finally found a way to get past. apparently, if i don't insert a CD, it will say "failed" for booting thru CDR (duh) and then it will say press any key to continue. now if insert the CD then and press a key, parallels will register the CD.

however, I've run into another problem. While booting, it says:

the file ramdisk.sys is corrupted. press any key to continue.

if i do, the whole thing starts all over again and i run into the same error. is this a flaw with the XP disk? I installed bootcamp just fine with this very same CD.

thanks in advance,
pentrixter

pentrixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
erm its all fixed, thanks for all those who helped. i basically cleaned by CD with fluid and crap.

one last question: is there a task manager for parallels windows xp? ctrl alt del doesn't seem to do anything.

thanks,
pentrixter

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erm its all fixed, thanks for all those who helped. i basically cleaned by CD with fluid and crap.

one last question: is there a task manager for parallels windows xp? ctrl alt del doesn't seem to do anything.

thanks,
pentrixter

XP is XP. You are not running a special version in Parallels or anything. That said you cannot just hit the CTRL-ALT-Del on your keyboard: the host OS grabs some of the keys.

Under the Actions menu in Parallels there is a Send Keys submenu from where you can send CTRL-ALT-Del.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I think the original poster was installing XP so clening the install disk solved his issue.

Your virtual machine doesn't look like it is starting up. Do you get any start up messages before this blank screen?

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
I think the original poster was installing XP so clening the install disk solved his issue.

Your virtual machine doesn't look like it is starting up. Do you get any start up messages before this blank screen?

Yes, it scrolls though and states some text very quick, extended memory etc which would be normal and then just a blank, black screen.
If I select the VM configuration button it claims parallel's is running
picture3bbeb9.png

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
That's odd. Try booting your virtual machine with a XP install disk in the drive. Run a repair of the start-up files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.