Paranoid? Maybe. I don't trust Airline Security

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SC68Cal, Nov 12, 2006.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
  2. relimw macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    If you've ever trusted the TSA for your safety, you're an idiot.
    It's the biggest shame of an organization there ever has been, it's not even fun to make fun of them anymore, it's patheic.
  3. SC68Cal thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I never trusted them, but I didn't want to display my true colors in the first post.

What is absolutely (mind-numbingly;red-haze-rage) annoying is that every time my family goes on vacation, my father gets "flagged" by the counter and they have to go back into the office and call security to unlock the console so that they can process our boarding passes.

My father flys every other week, and he has had to do this since 9/11. The people at the counter know his face at AT LEAST 4 different Airports.
  4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Only trouble I have had with TSA was once I was waiting in line to go through the metal detectors, I did not go through when the guy told me because I wanted to wait until my stuff (laptop, wallet, keys, and shoes) started through the x-ray, I have seen too many of those Dateline specials of people's stuff getting grabbed (I didn't want to have to chase down some guy with my computer without any shoes on). He waved me through I and I kind of motioned that I was waiting on my stuff to go into the x-ray. He got very agitated, he basically sent me over to the supervisor for 'additional screening' because I was acting suspicious. When I went over the supervisor started looking at my stuff and testing for explosives (that wand thingy) and asked what the problem was, I explained and said that it was my right to wait for stuff to go before I went because TSA wouldn't be responsible if someone stole it. He agreed and that was the end of the additional screening.

Oh, btw, the security flags that people get are set by a Federal mandate. If you buy a lot of one way, last minute tickets, you get flagged. If you fly a lot under these circumstances, you will get flagged every time you fly. It also seems having an extremely common name in combination with another criteria will get you flagged. This was explained to me by a Southwest employee after I was flagged for extra security (bought one way ticket day before flight).
  5. aviationwiz macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2005
    Not only were you 100% right in your actions, that's actually policy which they normally explain to you when going through the metal detector. That is that your stuff is going through the x-ray machine before you walk through the metal detector.
  6. SC68Cal thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    The reason why he gets flagged is because he's on that TSA list, with basically everyone else that has a fairly common name.
  7. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2005
    Hmm...I'm flying home next tuesday...I wonder if i'll get flagged because people want to see my apple laptop? hahaha...