Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=2&u=/nm/20050208/en_nm/leisure_apprentice_dc

This shows truely that people will file a suit for just about anything. He is taking advantage of his disability to have more favor over other contestants. Plus he filed before he was even interviewed. This would wave a big red flag, because the producer now feel trapped into getting him now probably. This guy just doesn't get it.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Don't you just hate lawyers?

Trying to gain an advantage by filing a frivolous law suit is pretty low. Trump would probably approve though :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am mixed on this lawsuit. On one hand it seems frivolous, on the other it seems preemptive. Sounds like the guy has had more than his share of being discriminated against. Much like many people I know that are over 40 and hunting for jobs right now. Discrimination is wide spread, just hard to prove.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem to include in facts in the article, maybe they are missing from the suit as well. BUT, how many "handicapped" applicants have there been?

It seems only a lawyer would start a dialog with the show with a lawsuit before they even interview. VERY SAD! Even worse the PR from this may backlash and hurt the legitimate suits against the truly cruddy companies. :rolleyes:

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
munkle said:
Trying to gain an advantage by filing a frivolous law suit is pretty low. Trump would probably approve though :rolleyes:

:confused:

i mimagine trump's reaction would be completely the opposite, he was worked hard for everything he has. donald trump didnt make money through 'frivolous law suits'. i have absolutely no idea what makes you feel that way...

as for the law suit... lame.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gwuMACaddict said:

I'd have to agree. Its unfortunate, but the way this comes out is that he either wants to use his disability to get on the show or get a settlement. Either way he's exploiting his condition which is quite sad.

He shouldn't have made it personal. :rolleyes:

D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
in the article they mention they did interview candidates in wheelchairs.
If that's true, the lawsuit is bust on merit, whatever one might think about it.

I don't think they would be necessarily discriminating to get a a person on a wheelchair on the show (it might actually increase ratings and would likely be a viewers' favourite, provided s/he is not blatantly exploiting the condition), but i would doubt s/he would have any real chance of winning it.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
gwuMACaddict said:

i mimagine trump's reaction would be completely the opposite, he was worked hard for everything he has. donald trump didnt make money through 'frivolous law suits'. i have absolutely no idea what makes you feel that way...

To the man who refers to himself as a 'bigger brand than Coke or Pepsi', manipulating the media to his own purposes is not a foreign move! ;)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
munkle said:
To the man who refers to himself as a 'bigger brand than Coke or Pepsi', manipulating the media to his own purposes is not a foreign move! ;)

Litigation aside, I'd just like to see Trump in an out of court meeting and settlement with a barber. Lose the hair, Donald :)
X

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
No offense to handicap people but, the Apprentice is not a show for you. Handicaps would be unfair to any team because of the extra time needed to necessitate them.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
daveway00 said:
No offense to handicap people but, the Apprentice is not a show for you. Handicaps would be unfair to any team because of the extra time needed to necessitate them.
Huh? "Sorry - we can't afford the time to have you on our team"? How do you figure? There is no reason to assume that having a physically disabled person on the team would be a detriment to the success of the team.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't this just a step away from blackmail? "You better accept me on your show, or else I'll sue you for discrimination."

What if there were X more-qualified contestants?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
munkle said:

that i understand, i thought you meant he frequently used frivolous lawsuits to get where he is today.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
emw said:
Huh? "Sorry - we can't afford the time to have you on our team"? How do you figure? There is no reason to assume that having a physically disabled person on the team would be a detriment to the success of the team.

Exactly.

The criticism here is that this guy is exploiting his condition to file a lawsuit purely to garner himself more attention.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Chip NoVaMac said:
I am mixed on this lawsuit. On one hand it seems frivolous, on the other it seems preemptive. Sounds like the guy has had more than his share of being discriminated against. Much like many people I know that are over 40 and hunting for jobs right now. Discrimination is wide spread, just hard to prove.

It still doesn't make sense to file a lawsuit prior to being harmed. Getting a court order forcing his acceptance is just wrong. He's apparently a very intelligent man. It would be better to stick with jobs that use his legal knowledge. Trump's producers have the right to set medical and physical requirements.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
gwuMACaddict said:

My understanding is that Trump made his money the old-fashioned way... he inherited it from his daddy. That doesn't sound like hard work to me.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This guy is a huge idiot... he's suing BEFORE anything bad actually happens? And his entire case rests on the notion that he is CLEARLY a better candidate than the other 1 million people who are applying to be on the show... and the standards for what make an ideal candidate are totally subjective and up to the producers.

I hope the judge tosses, nay, HURLS this case out of court like a Nolan Ryan fastball.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
mactastic said:
My understanding is that Trump made his money the old-fashioned way... he inherited it from his daddy. That doesn't sound like hard work to me.

From what I know: His father made a large corporation with real estate and eventually Trump inherited that, and then expanded it even more that it was during his father's "reign." He has worked for his money, but I wouldn't call it hard work, since his starting funds were inherited. Mind you, this isn't meant to say that real estate "people" (generalization) don't work hard for their money. I happen to be part of a non-profit real estate organization myself.
-Chase

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Heck, if this guy is trying to get a job with Trump -- even if could walk, Trump wouldn't hire an idiot lawyer like this.

When you pay over $1000/hr for a lawyer, you expect a whole heck of a lot more than "I'll sue you if you don't hire me."

Of course this guy forgets that the simplest way around this, is to hire the person on an hourly basis (min $200/week + additional $x/hour) -- but don't ever bring them in for a first day of work, and pay them a couple hundred dollars a week to stay home.

Kmacripple

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2005
Topeka, IN (aka Amish country)
He isn't suing to get on the show, he is suing to apply. Here is what the story says.

"Schottel does not claim to have been turned away yet, but his suit seeks a court order guaranteeing he will be permitted "to apply and be considered for 'The Apprentice"' in time for a casting call slated for St. Louis on Friday."

That statement is just plain uninformed. I know several people is wheelchairs, and they can go faster than people can walk, especially down hill. Maybe if people in wheelchairs were on TV, people wouldn't think they are slow.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Kmacripple said:
He isn't suing to get on the show, he is suing to apply. Here is what the story says.

"Schottel does not claim to have been turned away yet, but his suit seeks a court order guaranteeing he will be permitted "to apply and be considered for 'The Apprentice"' in time for a casting call slated for St. Louis on Friday."

That statement is just plain uninformed. I know several people is wheelchairs, and they can go faster than people can walk, especially down hill. Maybe if people in wheelchairs were on TV, people wouldn't think they are slow.

I am not up on all aspects of this case, but has he been told he can not apply or be considered? Have other wheelchair bound hopefuls not been able to apply?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
stubeeef said:
I am not up on all aspects of this case, but has he been told he can not apply or be considered? Have other wheelchair bound hopefuls not been able to apply?

He hasn't been told he can't apply at all and other applicants in wheelchairs have already been interviewed:

...three applicants in wheelchairs were interviewed in New York City last week for the upcoming fourth edition of the show, one of them by Trump himself.

Basically the move is just a ploy to gain himself an advantage.

Kmacripple said:
I know several people is wheelchairs, and they can go faster than people can walk, especially down hill.

I shouldn't find this so funny but :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.