Pardon me for my rant...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by eyelikeart, Dec 14, 2001.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I've been reading so many posts about people wanting to wait for the newest hardware to come out before they buy, so they can try to get the most for their money and stay on top of the game...

And I'm starting to find it worthless to constantly do this. It seems everyone is constantly looking to the next release of hardware, just as something new gets released. I think people need to realize that, unless u have an unlimited source of money, it's nearly impossible to ensure u are going to have the newest/fastest computer available for their money. It takes anywhere around 6 months for something to become obsolete.

And I constantly have to question, just what exactly are these people using their Macs for anyway? I feel most people complain about Mhz issues and what firewire comes with their Macs, but would be willing to bet they don't even utilize these factors. I understand that no one wants to buy something that will become obsolete in 6 months, but u have to know that it's inevitable!

I could not say any more plainly or clearer. I could go on and on about this, and I'm sure I'd catch some serious hell for it.

I hope this thread doesn't cause a nasty stir...
  2. MattB macrumors member

Jul 16, 2001
    Its like new cars...

Why do you think automakers sponser auto shows? Auto shows are used to show off the next year's model and all of its changes and improvements. We all await the arrival of such models, but we still love the current one.

The same goes for the "MacWorld Hype." We all anticipate changes and improvements to the current Mac lineup. It is becuase these forums are full of die hard fans that want to see Apple succeed by taking back a large portion of the market, that the rumors get started very early. We still love the current models, but when only one manufacturer makes the product that you want, you hold your breath until the next iteration arrives.

We all await the coming changes and improvements to our favorite line of computers!

Don't worry about all the hype, it's part of the fun!
  3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    Re: Its like new cars...

well said matt. i dont think most of us are "complaining" we just want to see all the new toys. i understand what eyelikeart is saying about most people not using the processing power they have (thats why seti started that screensaver program) but i think there are a lot of very serious users in these threads, the people here though are an exception. i always try to buy whenever a new design gets its first revision, and will then wait a few years until i buy again. during those few years though i still get excited about every macworld and still post threads where i might sound quite serious about this new harware, doesnt mean im gonna run out and buy it. its just fun to talk about. and when the new machiens show up at work im right there seeing how much faster they are - putting them through the tests. when the quicksilvers came out all the secretarial staff got one (imagine that) so i played with their computers during their lunch break.

its just fun you know.
  4. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

Its all about new Toys. I love to go to car shows and look at all the stuff I can not afford. And I love to read about all the new Mac toys that are comming out. I got a 867 Quicksilver a month after they started shipping. When the next one comes out, im going to to price one out and read the specs. Then Maybe go do an Apple retail stor and paly with one... but I cant justify spending that kind of money on a new computer when the one that I have is more than I need. Never the less... I will still want a new one. Its just fun to talk about the latest toys...and how bad I want one. I know dam well that my Quciksilver will probably be consided junk in 5 years time, but hey... thats how technology works, all ways progress.
  5. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    New 'Puters

Yeah, I dont think you are going to cause too much of a stir, because we all agree that we WANT the newest, but that doesnt mean we fork over the dough FOR the newest. I agree that the best time to buy is after the first revision, that way you get the cool new thing, but after its been field tested and approved. Take the TiBook for instance--I of course was drooling to get one last January, but waited until the 550/667 models came out, nearly 9 months later. And they are wonderful.

BUT, my home desktop is still a 400mHz G4. Not nearly the best, but not half bad. They dont even sell these puppies anymore (for like, a year now) but I still consider it a great machine. It still does all the stuff I need it to do. I use it for 3D animation [Cinema 4D XL-good program], and yes, that is VERY processor and RAM intensive and I utilize Firewire to export my renders very often. I would be lost without it.

But the "older" computers many of us are using are still very good machines. We are just guys who want more power. (OH OH OH, thanks to Tim Allen for saying it so elequently) If I had a a dual 800mHz Quicksilver, of course my render time would probably be cut in half. But, I work around it and am pretty happy. But, like someone else said, we just want to see the new computer come out from our favorite company, and hopefully get to take a look at them somewhere. We always get the best and newest at my University, and its good to see Apple staying up with the competition in our field of 3D animation. (they even have Maya now)
  6. Buggy macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2001
    Good post.

Some very intelligent obervations made about computers real usages and our fascination with watching Apple.

Personally I bought my G4 400 almost 2 years ago (spring). I planned on owning it for 4-5 years. Thats how long my last Mac lasted. I love this machine. It does most of what I want. The only thing I am frustrated with is the render times for FCP. I am eagerly awaiting my upgrade (just ordered it) FCP3 could breathe more life into my slowly aging machine. I may now make it to 5 years.

I am not a rich man I can't afford new machines and I suspect most of us here can't afford new machines every product update (plus you would spen soo much time setting up that new machine every couple of months that you would negate and speed increase just due to constant set up time). But it is nice to see our chosen platform suceed. Sort of like watching an Iddy race and seeing your brand of Car racing. You may not own that model. But you associate with it.
  7. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    good feedback

I'm glad to see I've gotten some good feedback from this post.

I, like many others, bought my machine with the plans on keeping it for a few years. It does everything I need it to, and while I could easily seat comfortably into a Dual 800, I'm very happy with my PowerBook G4 500.

I'm glad I didn't offend too many people it seems, and hope to see more replies!
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    one of the best threads i have seen

i don't think this will cause a rant

many of us want to see apple finally kick the notion of the faster ibm compatible pc out the door

the pentium 4 has done a lot for the pc's image as the fastest machine on the market but we can't say too much about the mhz myth until we have 1 ghz machines on our side, which i think will quiet down the preoccupation with speed a lot of people have

also with amd not listing the actual mhz speed on some processors will eventually take some of the heat off the speed race

on the techie front, bus speeds, fast RAM, and large level 2 cache are more important for many of us and on the business front, i would like to see super affordable computers under $300 dollars before i see the processors jump yet another gigahertz

it was fun watching the desktops fall below 1500, then a grand, then five hundred dollars, so i expect that trend to continue

even the most conservative high tech prophesies of ten years ago would not have envisioned half of america still not having a basic computer in the year 2001 and it may never be a universal appliance in every home like a telephone or tv set

still even many people who have all the money in the world to burn still show little or no interest in a home computer and would rather buy a really expensive watch or leather jacket at saks fifth avenue

i have a neighbor who won't buy a palm pilot or computer and feels quite comfortable with his version of high tech which is a manual, three thousand dollar cartier watch he probably has to wind every day to keep bad time

it feels like some of the early evangelism of computers in the 1980s or the internet in the 1990s has leveled off big time and people have gotten back into being with family or rediscovering the great outdoors

btw - congrats on your 100 and welcome to macrumors senior citizenhood
  9. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA