Parental controls on 10.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evil_santa, Apr 30, 2006.

1. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I have to set up a friends old G4 for his 7 year old daughter to use, I think the mac will be set up in her room so we would like to stop her getting onto web sites she shouldn’t & block any ichat/IM type apps.

I am going to set up a new non admin user account for her, a lock down as much a possible so she can't mess with the setting without the password.

Any suggestions of software that can help filter web content & limit time spent on each apps.

Also any suggestion of software (cheap or free) that would be good for a 7 year old girl, preferably with some educational value.

Thanks

eSanta!

2. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I read about this in another thread - Mail4kids. I think it's a great idea, the thread is here (he had to find a work-around to make it work, so check out the thread).

There were some great CD-ROMs for kids when my son was at that age about 8 years ago - Freddy Fish was one of them. Great graphics, and taught my son how to relate interactively on the computer. I'm sure there are more now, and probably downloadable. I searched children on versiontracker, and found this list.

5. evil_santa thread starter macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Thanks,

Mail4kids looks fun, I might have to get it for my mother :D

Now can i stop a user account from using some of the app, ie ichat? or is it better to just delete the apps in question.

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I would think that this is something you ought to be able to control with permissions. If you log in as admin, and change the permissions for a particular app for a specific user to "no access", I would think that that would block that user from using the app, while still letting other users (on separate accounts) access the app.