Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Upgraded to Mountain Lion and all seemed well but it appears that Parental Controls have somehow been activated in Mail.app. for my user account!

I am the only user and am admin and parental controls are definitely OFF in System Preferenes. Have spent 2 hours on phone to apple support and they have looked at my mac remotely but cannot find an answer.

Very frustrating - mail window says Parental Controls at top.

Any help greatly appreciated.

RDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
So many views and not a single reply. I'm guessing my problem is pretty unique!

I am not a novice user (15 years with a Mac) but I am stumped as was the Apple rep who remotely checked my Mac on Friday.

It is impossible to turn parental controls on for your own User account as an admin.

I am truly flummoxed.

Anyone got a hunch or a similar issue?

Hoping Apple can solve it!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So many views and not a single reply. I'm guessing my problem is pretty unique!

I am not a novice user (15 years with a Mac) but I am stumped as was the Apple rep who remotely checked my Mac on Friday.

It is impossible to turn parental controls on for your own User account as an admin.

I am truly flummoxed.

Anyone got a hunch or a similar issue?

Hoping Apple can solve it!

Yes you can enable parental controls on your own account. If you open the Parental Controls pref pane in System Preferences, what does it say?

My Parental Controls is off and I get this screen.

20120729-gpnbyac875b9emm44ihbt1c7um.jpg

RDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Mine is the same. See attached and also title bar from my Mail inbox.

Bizarre and very frustrating!

Attachments

• Mail header.png
    Mail header.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Parental controls.png
    Parental controls.png
    495.7 KB · Views: 196

RDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Looks like I've stumped Apple and the whole Apple community!

6 days and no reply from Apple despite being a fully paid up Applecare member and no response from the wise people on here.

Is it something SO obvious that everyone is too embarrassed to tell me or have I genuinely got an issue that no one knows the answer to?

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Have you tried creating a second user account and seeing if the issue persists? If not I'd just get rid of your faulty account and migrate your data over. Otherwise you're looking at a wipe>reload.

RDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Set up a second account and it works fine.

Backup/erase/clean install/restore seems the favourite approach at the moment – probably easier than migrating everything to a new account. Just finding the time to do it.

The thing is it really should't be like this – something has gone wrong during the upgrade and it has everyone stumped. I was expecting more from Apple – £280 for Applecare!

Would love to know what happened and why I'm the only person in the known universe with this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.