Parents...Babies...Labor...Etc...

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Dec 6, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well, after my last post last around 2 am, my sister went into the hospital...going into labor. She's been into it for about 12 hours now (including the time she spent at home before deciding she needed to go in), and is going very slowly with the whole thing.

I tried to stick it out, but resorted to sleeping on a window bench where family proceeded to take photos of me. I'm home now, she's still in the hospital. I've got a photo assignment I cannot miss in an hour, so I came home earlier to get some rest so I could be somewhat useful this afternoon.

I know there's a lot of parents around here, and some soon to be's. Wanna share your experiences? I'm in no way ready to become a parent, but I'm damned excited about being an uncle. :D

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Congratulations to your sister! By the time frame you mentioned, it sounds like it's her first. :) :)

I'll always remember the sound of my wife's voice when at 2 A.M. I heard her say "Uh Ohh". I knew immediately that my life was about to change. Our Lamaze (sp?) classes told us that your first will take a long time to come, so try and get a little more rest. Good Luck trying. Neither of us could sleep. Around 7 in the morning on our way to the hospital, we stopped in to my wife's work and she tied up some loose ends before we left. I'm freaking out wondering when we can leave.

Well everyting turned out well. My daughter was born at 6A.M. the next day. She is now 6 years old and in first grade. After having one, the next wasn't nearly so traumatic.

Witnessing your own childs birth has been the most amazing experience that I've ever been a part of.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Congrats eye! I am sure u'll make a good [and fun] uncle :)

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your upcoming status of uncle, eyelikeart. My experiences with labor and delivery come from nursing school. Most recently the USAFR. It is not unusual for a 1st pregnancy for the labor to last more than 12 hours. I'm sure that you are excited, it is a very exciting time. There is nothing quite like the gift of a new baby. I consider it to be a great gift from God, a miracle. :)

5. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanks guys...I'm really looking forward to this...

and babies are babe magnets... :cool:

So the latest is she's still not much further along than when I was there this morning. They're meeting with the doc to decide if they're going to section her or not. There's some other points of interest, but I won't mention them here.

:eek: ;)

6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

hey, you can start counting down the years before you can take your nephew or niece out drinking....i guess we'll have to keep the have you been drunk thread running until then :p

congrats

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I pray that your sister and baby will be OK. You could always PM me if you like eyelikeart. I'm sure that is isn't anything that I haven't already experienced.

Sounds like you plan to take the baby on walks in the park. I have heard that also, about attracting females! ;)

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    congrats on the impending unclehood.

my wife's labor was active for 10.5 hours with 24 hours of mild stuff before we went to the hospital. i was my wife's coach...we did it with the bradley method ( natural) and it was REALLY intense. we had taken classes for many weeks beforehand so we were prepared, but still....us guys got it easy.

then out pops the baby and you realize that nothing else in life matters. now she's 3 and we have another due in april. egaaads!!! how do these things happen?

and yes, babies are chick magnets for about the 3% of the time they're not covered in gurp or reeking of a diaper bomb.:D

spend as much time as you can with that baby...they are truly a blast.

9. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well...

I'm an uncle! :D

They had to perform a cesarian on my sis because the baby wouldn't go any further than she had for a few hours...after 15+ hours of labor, it was time to get it done. She'll be in the hospital for a couple days to recoup some. Tomorrow I'll be back there taking some photos of my niece. :)

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Congratulations again, and I hope your sister is doing well now. I'm sure that she's glad to be over that now. Now the fun starts. :D

3rdpath, as someone who has gonw through two childbirths, this one will seem easier compared to the first one. You've had one. You're an expert now. :) The biggest difference that I immediately saw was the amount of laundry multiplied by a factor of 10. I can't explain why. Good luck to you and your wife.

11. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Thanks for all the well wishes here...they all mean a lot. ;)

The baby ended up being 7lb 4oz, 19.5" long, 13.25" head. I thought her head was kinda big. :eek: ;)

Anyway, I'm about to make my way back to see how my sis is doing. She had been drugged up since about 5 am, so didn't really feel much pain at all from that point on; I'd hate to be in her shoes the moment it sets in.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I still feel the same way about the gift of the process of making babies.

:D

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It is just cuz the head is out of proportion to the rest of the babies body. makes it look huge :)

14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

congrats! being an uncle is awesome. you get all the fun of having kids around without any of the hard work or mess.

enjoy it -- and takes notes, so you're not lost when it's your turn!

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations eyelikeart, now that you are officially an Uncle. Do you know what her name? You appear to have a very healthy niece.

Her head being large is normal. It just seems out of proportion, the brain needs its room.

A cesarian is definitely no fun for the mom, I wish your sister all the best. I'm sure that they have had her up walking already. Would imagine that they have her on a demand pain medication pump. Pain is now the 5th vital sign, equally important as the other. It is important that she takes slow deep breath breaths and ambulates to prevent complications.

I look forward to seeing the pictures. Hopefully one will show you holding your niece. It is an awesome feeling to hold a newborn. ;)

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

heh, listening to you guys talk about the pain of a cesarian section makes me remember my wife's section. I changed my first diaper ever on my first son when he was a day old. Anyway it was that real nasty first diaper when it is the digested embryonic fluid.. they call it merconium or something like that...

Anyway, I am changing the diaper with him on the bed and my wife is coaching as she lies in the bed. Well that tar like stuff is taking a long time to clean. (that and I don't know what I am doing.) Well my boy starts whizz on me, and I jump out of the way. Well when I jump out of the way, he is now aiming into our open suitcase, so I quickly jump back into the way so that he doesn't wet all of our clean clothes. :D My wife has no idea what I am doing and can't help but laugh at me jumping into the stream. However, she just had a section so it really hurts to laugh, so she started gasping in pain as she laughed... I guess you had to be there. :D

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sure that your wife really appreciated the help. You are a great father and husband Stelliform! ;)

I hope that we will be able to see pictures from eyelikeart soon.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congrats, Uncle Eye! How exciting! You've got the best job of anyone - uncling!

The best gift you can give your sister in the coming weeks, other than your great photos, will be an occasional babysitting, so mom and dad can sleep or go to a store or just have a few minutes off now and then.

You might want to do something I've done whenever somebody in the family is born or gets married. I save the newspaper from that day, put it in a safe place, and give it to them 5 or 10 years later as a birthday or anniversary gift. It's usually a surprise, an appreciated gift, and of course it's a bargain!

19. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

HOORAY!

Congrats to you and your sis - Babies are the best looking ugly things in the world :p I should know (I have 2 ;)) I must say I'm shocked to not find baby pics in this thread yet!

20. judith macrumors regular

judith

Congratulations!
    Just remember this precious little "gift" will be calling you a worthless, good for nothing S.O.B in about 13 years!
    Sure... they're all cute and adorable now.....
    Suckers!:D

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Congrats on becoming an uncle, eye! :D

Sounds like it wasn't that much fun on your sister. I hope the recovery goes well.

D

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You've got it wrong. When you are 13/14/15/16, you discover that your parents don't know anything about anything. But your uncle is still a cool guy. Your uncle likes to play with you and doesn't care about enforcing the rules your parents made up. Your parents give you clothes for your birthday while your uncle gives you Grand Theft Auto XVIII for Super Ybox 3, or whatever the latest is.

Then you reach your 20s and discover that your parents are still behind you and always were, and they weren't so dumb after all. And if your lazy good-for-nothing uncle seemed cool only because he was irresponsible, you figure that out too. Or maybe you find out he is as great as you always thought!

Now, shouldn't there be a tradition that the uncle is in charge of introducing the niece to Macintoshes at the proper age? Hmmm, what age would that be, 18 months?

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's taking one for the team :p

24. kevin49093 macrumors regular

addictive...

That's what baby are! We have two with a third on the way. That will be three within 28 months! We are going to probably hold off for a while after the third, but who knows about the future.

My wife has had two very easy (easy for me to say) labors. The first lasted only about 4 hours. The second was a much quicker 2 hours. We had had some friends who were going out to dinner call and say they were going to visit us in the hospital before the birth. Boy were the supprised when they came two hours later, walked right in the room, and saw a 15 minute old baby! (The while thing was too much for one of the guys, he had to get some fresh air!)