Parents get their intel iMac on Tuesday... What are the first things I should do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by animefx, Mar 19, 2006.

1. animefx macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone had advice on what programs and what settings I should set-up and install once my parents get their intel iMac on tuesday?

We are all Mac newbies... I will switch over once the Macbook is released (hopefully in April). I've played with a G4 Mac Mini when Best Buy had them, I enjoyed it.

Will I have to worry about spyware at all? I know I won't need to install an anti-virus.

Also, my parents have a Linksys WRT54G router with Cable internet... Will this work ok with a Mac, and any paritcular settings for the router?

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nothing for your router I don't think.
    And as for what to do...just open it and plug it in. This isn't windows where you have to delete 50% of the crap they install and hope that windows still runs smoothly.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

First things first, enjoy the OS X Tiger intro video (it plays automatically). :p

As for the router, as long as you are still controlling it from a Windows, you don't need to download anything for your Mac. In fact, if you don't have any security settings enabled, the Mac will connect automatically. (Took me a day to realize that I was using my neighbors Linksys router). :eek:

There really isn't anything you need to do but enjoy! :)

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Hold it ransom till they buy you one too.

Better yet, really mess with them. Install Windows XP on it and leave it up so when they come back they just see that and are like what have we bought?!?!

5. solidbreakz macrumors regular

As far as settings, the only ones your family should be concerning themselves with would be the router settings. I don't see a reason to use wifi with adesktop machine, so I don't think configuring wifi access should be a top concern for your parents (although it should be with you, if you intend to use a wifi on your soon-to-be MacBook). For wireless security I recommend WPA NOT WEP with 128-bit pwd. I'm assuming that you already have the router installed and config'd. If such is the case, just use the existing wifi settings and password to log-onto your wifi network.

Do you have Microsoft Office for Mac? I'm assuming you're a student, so you can probably pick up a PowerPC 'Student and Teacher' edition on Office 2004 for less than $200 (the powerpc version does NOT run that much slower on Rosetta emulation as others claim). I wouldn't worry to much about other software quite yet. It's safe to assume that your parents (and yourself) will be well set with the included software on the iMac (for now).

If you are interested in trying out new software, swing over to macupdate.com and take a look at the Intel-Compatible software section. I recommend the following apps for starters:

Onyx (system cleaining and maintenance)
    SuperDuper (drive backups)
    Senuti (for extracting files from your iPod(s))

Enjoy the iMac and MacBook, when it is released!

6. animefx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips!

Well, my parents use their computer for their home business primarly, but I've slowly got them into using their digital camera... I think they will like iPhoto a lot.

I remember in the past it took a long time to uninstall all of the ad-ware in my sister's Dell. I'm glad I won't have to do that on a Mac :)

I'm formerly a student.. I don't live at home anymore, but I visit my parents a lot and told them I would help them set up their Mac. Plus this will give me some time to get familiar with OS X before the Macbooks come out (hopefully soon!)

As for Microsoft Office, I think my sister could get a student discount. My parents ordered iWork 06 with the iMac so I hope thats good enough for thier needs (along with Quicken). If not, I'll let them know that you guys recommend Office for Mac. :)

I looked on a Apple wiki about installing programs with a disk image... I understand it, but I hope i can explain it to my parents so they can do it on their own.

Any more suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again!
    - Bryan

7. solidbreakz macrumors regular

Note: some applications in disk image (or .dmg) format automatically extract themselves when downloaded from the web (particularly in Safari) BUT, 97% of most downloaded .dmg's do NOT self-extract upon download and all are easy to use.

Nearly ALL applications should be installed in the "Applications' Folder by default. Just tell your parents the follwing.

'Double-click on the .dmg file, a white icon will appear on the desktop (mounted disk image). (It should open itself and show the application inside). Drag the application and drop it into Applications folder.'

done.

P.S. Apple Burn sucks. Wait a bit for Roxio to release a universal binary Intel-compatible version of Roxio Toast 7 Titanium. It's very stable and much faster than OS X internal burning. I have Yet to burn a 'coaster.'

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was told that since the release of Tiger, system maintenance devices were unnecessary.

IMO, that'd be overkill.

9. solidbreakz macrumors regular

oh..and one last thing.

Have your parents check out the following website.

Mac 101

10. solidbreakz macrumors regular

You are relatively misinformed, my friend. While Tiger AND Panther have self-maintenance (usually in the form of 'chron' scripts), all maintenance usually occurs on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

One problem: the Computer must be on for this to occur. MOST people either (a) put their computer to sleep, or (b) shut it down when not in use. Scripts only run when the computer is on and operational.

Onyx and other like apps allow users to run scripts on the fly. ALSO, apps like Onyx allow for purging of user, system, and web caches...something the built-in Chrons DO NOT do. Also...such apps allow you to reset log records, repair permissions, and reset help files...all in one click.

Convinced yet?

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Maybe...

...but I still don't entirely see the need for it. I've never downloaded anything special to take care of my Mac and it's still running just fine. Maybe one day it'll catch up to me, but until then, I'm taking the easy road. :)

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

This guide has everything you need to know. :)

EDIT: I have 3 WRT54G's and you can control them from your Mac with there IP - 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is; that's the default and you don't need to install any software that it comes with, of course.

:)