Paris Expo....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jakochampolska, Aug 13, 2005.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I'm new to the Mac world, well, I dont even own one yet I'm planning on buying a 12' powerbook BUT
    I know there are rumors about them coming out with new ones when the Paris Expo thing happens. Well, I heard its in 3 weeks into Spetember, I'll be in Paris during that time. So if apple were to come out with new PBs during the Expo would it be possible for me to buy it there. This might seem like a stupid question but I'm curious. Also, if they did come out there and I bought one in France, you can change the language setting to English right? I know the keys would be different, but that doesnt matter to me. And would it be possible buy a French powerbook and then use it in America? Or it doesnt really matter.
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty lost in this new world lol :p
    -Chantal

2. Sttesuhc macrumors member

The main question is whether or not the (presumably updated) PowerBooks will be shipping immediately or at a later date. MacWorld SF in January 04 (or 03?) announced PowerBook updates that didn't ship until several months later. It seems that the likely update is minor-- just a speed bump and maybe other small increases under the hood, so I would assume they would be available immediately.

I believe at certain Expo events in the past (whether SF or Paris) units have been available for purchase. Don't quote me on that, though. Either way, you'd have to get into the Expo to purchase it there.

I'm also 87% sure that the foreign language could be changed by the user.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Language shouldn't be a problem. I'm in Norway and have installed my Tiger in English.

The keyboard would probably be slightly different, but since both French and English use the same letters it shouldn't be a major issue. (Not like Norwegian which uses three more letters: æ, ø and å.)

The only real difference would be the power supply, but that's easily solved by buying one of Apples own traveling kits (or any 3rd party transformer).

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

dont you have to be invited to a expo? You cant just walk in and have a seat during a conference can you?

5. Sttesuhc macrumors member

There are different levels of access for Expos. Some might be invite-only for special events occuring during the Expo, but as far as I know, if you pay whatever "baseline" fee exists, you can enter the exhibit hall and roam around. I know that was the case for the recent MacWorld Boston. You could enter as a civilian for about $20, but if you wanted to attend the special workshops you were looking at closer to $300 or more.

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

If they do bump anything, I think that it will not be too significant and will also be available immediately. If they do anything with the powerbooks, they would need to ship quickly with the intels around the corner. That being said, I decided not to wait and my PowerBook is coming this week!

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple ships all of its Powerbooks and iBooks with auto-adapting 120V/210V power adapters. All you would need would be the plug adapters, which Apple sells for $39 and fit directly into the power brick.

However, I doubt Apple will sell the new models at the expo.

8. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I'm off to the expo myself (got my pass already from Apple) and given my PowerBook habit (switched November last year and I've owned about 6 or so PB's!) I was tempted to get one there and then....
    But then whats a couple of days I thought? Got to consider possible BTO options which probably won't be available, the lack of Anglo orientated keys (want my pound sign dammit!!!) and then the additional cost of getting the UK power plug.
    So I'll be getting the Rev E (if it happens and it has: a) new high-res screen b) new low power consuming CPU and DDR2... anything else is a bonus) from the Regent Street store at the turn of the month.

9. dcv macrumors G3

Well it would be an expensive thing to do!

The 12 inch PowerBook from the French store is €1529 which at the current exchange rate seems to be about $1890, which is about $400 more than what you'd pay in the US and you'd still need to change the power adaptor plug...

10. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

You know your smart. I'm probably going to end up buying it in America, but still having to buy your first mac in Paris would be a plus :cool:

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

If you register in time, you can go to the paris expo, and see the keynote speech. I have a pass. :)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would highly recommend attending a Steve Jobs Keynote at least once. It's an awesome experience. Paid the extra money at MWNY in 2002. So we got VIP seating up front.