Parking For Women with Children ...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Ok this makes me really pissed, these are the same thoughts that appear on my website I just copied and pasted them here, if you can't tell i think this is wrong and bullcrap

OUTRAGE!

Well I came home from school and now I'm quite outraged at a local sign in the Best Buy parking lot of my town. In a large parking lot the sign reserves nine of the closes non-handicap spaces for "Women with Children". The sign is pictured below and I have several problems with the presentation and execution of this program presumably by Best Buy Corporation.

1. The sign does not say Family Parking or Parking for persons with children. The sign clearly says Women which completely excludes men who may have children.

2. Why do people who choose to have children get special rights such as upfront parking? I agree that those who are handicapped and not physically able to reach the door in an efficient manner should be given priority but their disability is beyond their control. Having children, however, is a choice.

3. This is discrimation agaisnt those without children, they might as well give people without children a different spot on the Bus. I'm not saying a boycott of Best Buy is in order, but maybe it is, who buys Huge TV's, top of the line computers, insane stereos and excessive amounts of video games. MEN. MOSTLY LIKE THOSE WITHOUT CHILDREN!

4. Since this is one of my first times as a caucasian male to be discriminated against I have to complain; its my right!

[​IMG]

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Because ya have to remember kwyjibo, that in this backwards world, equal rights for women means more rights and discrimination towards men....

nothing like discrimination to solve it eh?

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Eh, I think this is too literal of an argument. Sure, it says "Parking for Women With Children," but I don't think they're gonna crucify u for parking there if u are male & have a child or two with u. I'm inclined it's backed by the same belief that men go out & work while women are home with the kids.

I also support such a move, here's why:

How many times have u driven thru a parking lot only to see someone's small child run into the middle of the lane or come out of nowhere from between cars? I think, if anything, this is an attempt to bring children physically closer to the entrance of the store, thus making them however less likely to get injured.

Flame on. ;)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

no tazo, once again when rights are involved, you try to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. using blanket statements like the winner above doesn't really say anything about the situation, but it's a fantastic way to keep complaining about how *sob* you are discriminated against. equal rights, this is NOT, so save your "equal rights = discrimination" crap.

anyway, to the subject at hand. the idea is nice, and it's caught on remarkably fast nationwide, but clearly they didn't think this one through. as was pointed out, it discriminates against men with children, akin to saying that women can't manage to walk across a parking lot whereas men can. beyond that, it's a trife annoying personally, because those damn kids are just going to yell and scream in the store anyway...

so yeah, i wish they'd change it to "people with children" or better "people with young children". i think we can all agree that parking lots can be hazardous places for children, you've got people driving around *way* too fast, and kids aren't always good at staying where you want them. so the idea is nice, like i said. the most important point here is that this is not a law, and i don't know of any place in the US that it has become legally binding. so, i really can't see taking issue with the existance of these signs, just the wording. which is pretty easily changed, should people complain about it... and this is not a best buy thing, there must be an organization that issues these signs... maybe those online petitions aren't so useless after all?

pnw

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I agree with you on the women bit certainly.

And I think the sign should say "Cars with just one guardian with multiple children under 5." I know I have longed for such signs after they started having senior citizen parking.

However, no store, especially best buy does things without having a good $$$ reason. And have you ever tried to wrestle kids out of a car to go to a store? It is a pain in the ass. Especially if you have to walk through a busy parking lot.

We went to eat at a restaurant the other day and we had to park a good way away from the door. My 2 year old didn't want me to carry him, he also didn't want to hold my hand. (Not an option in my house.) So to protest he would drop to the ground in the parking lot on his knees and try to get his hand out of mine. So I picked him up by his hand and carried him through the lot like that. (Don't worry folks, I wasn't hurting him, I kept putting him down to see if he would walk and he kept fighting me.)

So if I had my two boys with me, and my choice was Circuit City with no family parking and Best buy with family parking, I might pick best buy. (Except I hate that store and wouldn't shop their even if the alternatives meant I had to walk on burning coals to get into them. :))

But I also agree with you that nine spots is obscene. Maybe two.

But I disagree with you about parking close as being a big deal. (When you don't have kids.) I prefer the back of the lot, that way I get to walk a little bit, I don't have to park in tight spots, and I don't have to drive around a tight area with people who do not know how to drive. I can park in the back and walk in the store way before the people who wait for a close spot or circle even one time.

6. judith macrumors regular

judith

Re: Parking For Women with Children ...

Men huh? Men without children even. Are you sure? Sounds ignorant of thier customer base to me, if not discriminatory.

Allthough families might also be used (and misused: "hey, it's me and my brother - we're family!"), I like the idea because I think it's a safety issue. Children ARE physically different than adults, much like the disabilty point you made, and furthermore, I really don't see this as leading to people setting out to have children so they can take advantage of better parking, all though I guess some might, as logic in not inherent in men. (Meaning.. humans, not men specifically)

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Not to get this off-topic here...

I find it odd that they use the word women on the sign. And I have to say that I do take the smallest bit of offense at that. (Very small... ;))

But I am a very involved father. I change diapers, bathe kids every other night, put kids to bed every night. And when I am not working I am taking care of my kids. (My wife has it made. And she doesn't read MacRumors so I can say that ;) :D) But it is true that I haven't done anything for me since at least May without my kids. My golf clubs are very lonely. :(

I have had to change poopie diapers in the back of my SUV since there are no baby stations in the men's bathrooms where I was. Although they have them in some men's bathrooms in town...

I have to say that the majority of care givers for children are women, but Men make up a growing number.

OK, my rant on oppressed male care-givers has subsided. :D

8. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

In general Men earn more than women, single men have a higher disposible income than married men. This means they have more to spend, they are more likely to buy gadgets and the things mentioned above which is why I said that.

I do my fair share of walking, I walk to class and I walk to the store, when i'm away at school I walk everywhere, when i'm home and driving 5 months out of the year, I don't think i should be prohbitied from parking in these types of spots.

Yes people drive too fast in parking lots, i don't think thats effected by where parents are parking.

The sign itself is bad, and women with a child could park there... even me at 18 and i'm mother in her forties ...

Kids need to learn how to behave in parking lots, when I was approximately 5 years old, my dog was hit by a car, and he recovered but it was very scary ... from there on I learned the street was something to be respected. No one should have to experience tramatic things like that but they happen, what about when kids are 10 years old and they still misbehave in the street or assume every car will see them.

obviously these are moves to increase bestbuys sales of family related items and toys , the even ahve a section in my best buy right up front for kids with random toys ...

Another question, has anyone seen the movie stealing harvard, well the guy works in a physical therapy store, the whole parking lot is basically handicap spots and a few regualr spots, i found it entertaining at the time but in reality this is how it could be ... .

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Kwyjibo: my point was not that speeding drivers (go to any parking lot, people, it's insane) are affecting parents' ability to park; rather that when you have a child who has been hit by a Ford Explorer doing 40, and is now laying on hot concrete with his life running out of him, parking nearer the store for those with children doesn't seem so bad. happens all the time, children dart out from between cars and get flattened. yes, it's the parent's responsibility to watch the children, and yes that child should have behaved properly, but mortality is a foreign concept to a 2-year-old. and people don't know how to parent anymore.

i stand by my assessment that these should remain in place, remain voluntary, and be re-worded as "people with young children".

pnw

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I would go as far to say all the way up to 16 here. :D

No matter how vigilant the parent, stuff happens. I know my two year old has gotten away from me in parking lots. Sometimes they are slippery little buggers.

It is also very difficult to be a parent now.

My step father was telling us how car trip discipline was handled by his dad. When they were bad his dad would give them one warning. Then if they were bad again he would stop the car, get them all out, take off his belt, and whip every kid down a line. Then they would get back in and go on their trip.

Try doing that today. The cops would call social services on you. Back then you were being a good parent and disciplining your kids and society supported you. Today you are an abuser and people give you dirty looks if you kids are misbehaving, or if you spank them in public. You can't win as a parent.

(I know this will start a spanking debate, but physical punishment is probably the most effective way of making a child behave in public. It is quick, with quick results.) Flame away...

Oh one more thing on the nostalgia trip... Back in the 60's all adults looked out for the discipline of kids. If they saw a kid do something wrong they would drag the kid by his ear to his parents. And the parents would thank the other adult. Now we all fear of touching someone else's kid in case we might be sued by the parent. "It takes a village to raise a child." (Most effectively)

I need to go to bed. I am ranting way to much here...... :D

11. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Why does the woman look like she lost or something?

That sign is just makes me laugh. Did they really have to say the women bit? Couldn't have been just family parking or something? They have them at a best buy here. If no one is around I'm going to color in the Wo in women. So it's men with children. :D

12. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

13. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Hmmm, I don't think they would fine you if a male with a kids/s parked there, but they do seem to be presuming that the woman is the one caring for the child.

It's a stereotyped world...

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

nine is excessive to say the least. two, perhaps four if it's a large store or one popular for parents. if i saw a couple of these, i would respect them, if i saw nine of these, i would park in one. gladly.

:)
    pnw

15. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Insulting and preposterous in many respects.

1. The woman is pictured as wearing a dress (sexist) and having what looks like pigtails of sorts (racist...denotes possible "white women only" undertone)

2. Assumptive that only women would have children with them, not men. (already discussed)

3. Indicates that women with children only would need to park near to the entrance because women are in less control of their children and would need the "extra help" in closer parking. Denotes inferior childrearing stereotyping.

4. Wording on sign does not match graphic..."children" is plural. The appropriate graphic should show more than one child, or the wording should be changed to "a child."

5. Ambiguous. What is the age level allowed? What is the cut off? Opens itself up to guesswork....interpretation unclear.

6. Assumptive that a person knows how to read English. Non-English speaking women may look at the graphic and interpret it as a place to stand around and wait, which may open the way to injuries, the very opposite of what the sign was intended to prevent.

(taking deep breath)

Now, most, if not all, of my comments above are for amusement...but if you stop to think for a minute, and remind yourself that people actually sat around a table and discussed this issue, the causations for issuing the signs and spaces, how it should be worded, what the graphic should be, how it would be enforced, the legal issues, blah blah blah, one can almost hear the yahoos that came up with this in the first place coming up with comments just like that.

Or perhaps they should have...then the silly things wouldn't have been created in the first place.

This idea HAD to have come out of some "incident" of some sort that happened at one of their stores, or that very location. It wound its way through various managerial meetings to ultimately show itself in the form that it has taken.

At first blush, I tend to agree with the original poster of this thread...it DOES seem outrageous. And silly. And then...it sort of grows on you...like having cameras tracking your every move...you get used to it...and then...it becomes acceptable to the point of thinking any store NOT having one being, well, just plain UNAMERICAN...

...and then they're everywhere.

Oh, one more thing they got wrong:

7. ÒWeightist.Ó Graphic indicates "thin is in" when clearly this is not the case. Graphic should be changed to have proper "weight" values applied...all children today are 80 pounds overweight...therefore, probably the reason it was created in the first place...

Overweight Americans with fat children can't walk far.

16. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I parked kinda between bestbuy and the next store, i noticed three on that row, then i noticed the signs had two faces and that the otherside was also a problem. Then I looked on to the new few rows and the there were four more, i was pissed

17. Dros macrumors 6502

One semi-side note... in Germany, parking structures reserve rows of spots near the doors for mothers with children. It is not a new thing there. So it could have been an idea imported from Europe. I don't have any problem with it in general. I'm sure it is very helpful for some people that could need help. It would be nice to recognize fathers as needing help, too. But I tend to park at the first spot I see, even if it is way away from the entrance, so I don't mind 'prime' spots being taken.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

exactly. there's no reason for this to be an issue, if they intend to put these up, they need to think about it a little bit. i still don't think it's best buy doing this, i'd guess it's the people that have started implementing "expectant mother" signs... anyway, having firsthand knowledge of marketing, i can tell you that not even the tiniest bit of foresight went into the design of this.

when you have 300 million people, doing something that will impact so many of them should really warrant a day's worth of discussion...

pnw

19. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

we can rule out expectant, because either the woman in the photo doens't know shes pregnant or shes carrying her unborn child very well.

20. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Really? ...how long has this been in place? Is it quite common? Was it started by a privately held company then "caught on," or was it a city concept? Was there public reaction to it at first? If so, was it primarily positive, negative, or neutral?

I'd be interested to hear...reactions to such things from differing cultures is fascinating to me...

21. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

to cut the shorts and curls on this one i am a parent i dont drive no car at least at the moment but the way it works is this. i am from the uk i live in australia the same rules apply in both palces theres parking spaces for parents with kids. or in some places its parents with push chairs now go figure that one out LMAO.

but heres the real but kicker there are also parking spaces for disabled next to the moms / dads area parking and well lets just say no one follows the rules

22. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I think a prank call is in order to my local Best Buy! My friend said they have the same signs, I wonder how many they have being in Utah and all. :rolleyes: :mad: Did you know if you go to public school here and your not morman you will be made fun of! Quite silly if you ask me. Yes prank call from some fake equal rights org. with a really long name is in order. Ill try an hook it up.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

How can you not like the parking spots reserved for women and children? Do you know how dangerous it is for a woman to walk an extra 30 feet? especially with children...

She can't begin to defend herself against rapists, druken drivers, and killers. She has to be right by the door so she can run in before they get her! Do you honestly want her to risk her own life and the lives of her poor, innocent children trying to brave the extra 30 feet?

How increadibly rude of you.

scem0

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

i will point out again, since people don't bother reading above... these signs are nationwide, and were preceded by a nationwide campaign of "expectant mother" parking spaces, maybe a year or two ago, it got mild press with officials asking people to respect them, but that they weren't passing a law to enforce them. so the concept is not new. i have seen less and less of the expectant signs over the past year...

scem0, i reiterate that i do believe it can be dangerous for a person with children to be walking through a parking lot... if i went just by how many i've almost hit (little buggers are fast), i'd say there are probably quite a few. i remember watching a kid get pretty seriously injured a couple of years ago at a wal-mart, 10 feet from where i was standing. the idea here is that a parent trying to manage, say, 4 or 5 kids might have a problem keeping them out of traffic's way. and again, i point out that children should not be allowed in stores to begin with. makes shopping just plain unpleasant for the rest of us. but i digress...

pnw

25. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Was that a joke?

Yes, killers and rapists run rampant in Best Buy parking lots, especially when the lot is so crowded that a mother needs to use the "mother and children spots." If a mother can't handle her kids walking 30' feet in a parking lot where people are going 15MPH, maybe she shouldn't have kids in the first place.

I can honestly say yes.

Brave the 30 feet? Oh come on.

What are there landmines in this parking lot?

NO! Your the one that doesn't think a woman can defend herself or handle kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.