Parking Ticket!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Heres the story. I was at Newport Beach this past weekend, me and some friends had a place to stay in the area so we all went up there. Well, I took my car (ford focus ZX3, 2 door) to the beach to park, and it was pretty packed. I parked it in an Albertson's parking lot right next to the beach (like 1 min walk away), and on the way walking to the beach, I saw a spot that my car could fit in to.

The spot was the first place to park if you were to turn left on a street. The city paints a little red spot on the corner, so that cars turning wont clip a car that its right on the corner. There was space in front of the red spot, and I thought I would put my car there. I didn't want to get it towed at Albertsons.

So, I park it there, and my bumper is about 4" in the Red. I'm thinking no decent cop would give a ticket for that, but i was proven wrong.

about 6 hours later, i come to my car, and I got a ticket! i was pissed. $55 down the tubes. damn powercontrol cops, like to ruin my day.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The Police Dept. here definitely does - there always seems to be a bunch of tickets being handed out near the end of the month for some reason... :rolleyes:

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

When they are out to get someone for revenue (ie. writing up tickets, hoping the receipients of which do not contest and just send in the check), they will find something to write you on. I am very careful where I park as it is my principal not to give any reason to cops for parking tickets (I pay enough taxes already and no need to pay extra to pitch in for them).

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least he didn't also nail you for parking too far away from the curb, write you up for tint, and nail you for equipment violation (rotted wiper blades or a bald spot on a tire) ... :p

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Big ol' Christmas Bonuses. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune MacAztec.

7. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Are you really going to pay it? I have never paid a parking ticket, and I've had my fair share. Come to think of it, I havent had one in a few years. They might be cracking down one it now though, Patriot Act and all. Go thing you didn't leave your ACLU card in plain view, they might have towed you and bugged your phone.

But don't be mad at the officer, he has a rough time, protecting the Home Land and all.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not even just the end of the year - the end of each month - that makes 12 Christmas bonuses a year! ;)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Someone from my year's father is a cop around here... he says there is no quota per se for the end of the month. What happens to cause that end-of-month flurry of citations is that at the end of the month, the commissioner or chief looks over that month's citations-- he/she assumes that the cops whose names pop up more often, do more actual policing. So it's more for being in good favor than for technicalities. At least around here.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So basically, there's a quota? :p ;)

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think quota implies that they are required by law... or they would be demoted or fired. Brown-nosing does not equate job requirement. Just highly recommended. ;)

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Sounds about right for that area.

Trust me, most beach areas in California where parking is tight, if you think that you'll get a ticket because your parking is not 100% legal, you will.

Santa Monica used to be the worst, but now that they have plently of free parking, it has eased up somewhat. Still, if you're 1 minute late to feed a parking meter down there, be sure to count on helping the city pay for their Christmas bonuses :eek:

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Welcome to the world of drive. You will soon realize that cars are more expensive than you think.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Parking tickets are a pain. You should try and contest the ticket. Be sure to take pictures. It's worth a try. Some are successful at having the ticket revoked. Most just pay the ticket because they don't want the hassle. So it depends on if you have the time and inclination. Good luck MacAztec. ;)

15. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Contest what? He was in violation. Get over it.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I got about 5 parking tickets when I lived in New York. Contested every one, and only paid one. But if you'd rather just lie down and pay up, I suppose that's your prerogative. Why not let MacAztec decide -- he's the one who has to pay.

17. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I got a similar ticket in HB a few years ago...

Call NBPD and ask if they will allow you dismissal, because you are not local, and didn't think you were far enough into the red zone for a ticket. It worked for HB, and i've done it in Hollywood (unincorporated, so it's LAPD). I think LAPD only allows one, because the second time they didn't budge.

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

At least other places' cops do something, we get people who park in the DO NOT PARK area's and people who park in the Handicap parking who aren't handicapped, but no one gets a ticket, heck people park right on the corner of a street, I thought it was supposed to be 50 feet from a corner. I hate our police.

My friend and his friend was getting threated by this group of people and basically the police told him that they couldn't do anything unless he was got killed by them. I hate Heber Cities police, they suck.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

They gotta pay for doughnuts somehow. :rolleyes:
    MacAztec it seems you just doughnuts for the local police department. ;)

20. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

So, I don't have any photos, but should I call the Police Department and ask for them to dismiss my ticket? What should I say? Thanks.

21. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

devilot76 , I went to school in Orange County, and believe me, there is a QUOTA. Almost everyone there knows about it. Sorry MacAztec to hear you got the ticket. And $55 is steep! Can you fight it?

22. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Does the back of the ticket state how you can contest the ticket?

Even if you can, I do not know if it's worth your trouble. My twin brother got a speeding ticket. He tried to challenge it, ended up getting yelled at by the "referee" and have to pay his time as well as the ticket.

23. baummer macrumors 6502a

You parked 4" in the red. In the red is in the red. You were wrong, and you got a ticket for it. Pay the ticket and take responsibility for your actions. :rolleyes:

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

One of the cities here just announced they will probably be shutting down the photo radar and red light cameras -- because the program doesn't bring in enough money.

Heck, the cities cut jobs when they enacted the photo radar programs and also cut traffic duty patrols to nothing in several cutbacks.

Basically it'll be park wherever you want and drive as fast as you want. Because the police are just too busy to give you a parking/speeding ticket.

And cities wonder where the ticket revenue went. :rolleyes:

25. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

krimson is right. Since you're not a local, they might let you off the hook this one time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.